Thursday, 31 March 2011

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Upminster Bridge

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne continues to flow southwards towards the Thames

Post to the north Upminster
Post to the south Corbets Tey

Branfill Road The Branfill family were local property owners from the 17th
Branfill Road Meeting Room, with plaque above the door about preaching the Lord’s Word. Built pre-1950s.

Bridge Avenue
Hornchurch Stadium, built in 1952 with athletics facilities and it is home to AFC Hornchurch.

Carlton Close
Windmill. A smock mill which can be seen for miles around which was in use until 1927. The upper part is octagonal of timber and weather boarded on a brick base. It originally had three pairs of stones. The cap is dated 1799 and the timber is late 18th but the mill was actually built in 1803-4 by James Nokes. The wind shaft came from a post mill at Maldon in 1899. Additional power came from a steam engine but this and its boiler house and other building were by the County Council, who were the owners from 1940. It was opened to the public in 1968. Champion Road. Champion was the first name of a prominent member of the Branfill family
St. Joseph. Roman Catholic Church built in 1939 by Marshall in Dark brick. There is a statue of St Joseph by Joseph Cribb, above the entrance.

Corbet’s Tey Road
Public Library. Designed by H. Conolly of Essex County Council, in 1962-3.
St Laurence. The parish church derives its foundation from 653-63 and St. Cedd a missionary from Lindisfarne who established a minster here. The church was rebuilt in the early 13th and enlarged in the 14th. In 1861/2 it was again rebuilt and in 1928 more work was done from designs of Sir Charles Nicholson. St. Laurence was a roman martyr. The church has a 13th tower with a shingled spire. Inside are beams holding the first floor – with straight timbers connected by secret lap joints. Sir Charles Nicholson’s, work is characterized by dying arches. The 15th octagonal font came from the chapel at Upminster Hall. There is a good collection of brasses and many memorials including one with inscriptions by Eric Gill
Churchyard. The oldest memorials in the churchyard are four headstones - Two from 1717 and the others 1710 and 1695. Gaynes Parkway Grassed amenity area alongside the Ingrebourne Gaynes Road The local manor name of Gaynes comes from the manor holder at the Conquest – Engaine. It was used in Gaynes Park, location of a local manor house, Great Gaynes

Railway Line
The line to Grays was built in 1892 with a 105 ft span bridge over the Ingrebourne.

St. Mary’s Lane
Also once called Upminster Hill
Upminster Park. This is on the area of the glebe and was bought by the local authority in the 1920s. In the Second World War underground air raid shelters were built on the north east side and removed after in 1948. A wartime decontamination shelter at the north entrance is used as football changing room
New Windmill Hall. Hexagonal hall built in 1968 and owned by the local authority.
St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School Hill Place, Convent of the Sacred Heart of Mary and Sacred Heart of Mary Girls School. . This is a house from 1790 rebuilt in 1871-3 for Temple Soanes by W.G. Bartlett who had also worked on St.Laurence’s church. It is brick with a staircase tower, and timber porch installed in.1900. Inside is stained glass by Morris & Co. Designed by Burne-Jones. It was taken over by The Congregation of the Religious of The Sacred Heart of Mary founded in 1849 in France by Père Pierre Jean Gailhac and Madame Appolonia Pelissier-Cure who took the name of Mother St. John. Some of the nuns, Béziers Sisters, were in Liverpool in 1872 and then east London and they bought Hill Place for a school. The Sacred Heart of Mary Girls’ School began as a small fee paying school. Some of the grounds were sold and extensions built. In the Second World War the school was evacuated to Buckinghamshire and the site was taken over by the army. In 1950 it became a voluntary aided secondary modern school. The main building dates from 1930-9 by Marshall & Archard but never finished and there are additions from the 1970s and 1990s.
70 Independent Chapel. Dissenters Meeting House. Converted for use by the school. Built 1800 by James Nokes and Samule Hammond for Protestant Dissenters, formed by parishioners who had had a row with the rector. It was used by The Congregationalists until 1910.
Ingrebourne Cottages, a plain two-storey row opposite Bridge Avenue built as the parish workhouse in 1750 built by John Badger and extended in 1787. Converted to six cottages after the Romford Union workhouse was built in 1836. George Rowe converted it into six cottages. House, previously Hollies Hotel. This is a yellow brick Victorian building corner of Cranborne Gardens.

Upminster Road
Upminster Bridge. Over the Ingrebourne a road bridge at the foot of Upminster Hill. A wooden bridge stood here which was replaced in 1891, following heavy rain and floods in 1888. It was twice the width of the old one and a time capsule of local documents and publications was put into the foundations, below the road surface.
Upminster Bridge Station. 17th December 1934. Between Upminster and Hornchurch on the District Line. It was originally a London Midland and Scottish Railway station with art deco buildings. The ticket hall is polygonal and has a reversed swastika tile design on the floor. In 1934 Opened by the District Line
Windmill Pub. This was previously the Bridge Tavern

Waldegrave Gardens
12 Home of Ian Dury in the 1950s.

Sunday, 27 March 2011

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Upminster

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne continues to flow south to the Thames

Post to the north Emerson Park
Post to the south Upminster Bridge


Upminster Golf Course
The area of the course adjacent to the river. The club house in Upminster Hall is to the east

Wych Elm Road
Emerson Park School. Specialist sports college.

Friday, 25 March 2011

Thames Tributary River Ingrebourne - Upminster

Thames Tributary River Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne continues to flow south towards the Thames

Post to the west Emerson Park

Bird Lane Chapmans or Potkiln farmhouse 18th farm-house
Pot Kilns. In 1708 Samuel Springham had a house at what is described as ‘the Brick-kilns’. Near Hall Lane there was a circular brick-kiln built in 1774 by Matthew Howland Patrick, of Upminster Hall. Here, he had just 'brought his sugar-mould-pottery to perfection'. Later it produced bricks, tiles, and pipes and in 1885 James Brown, of Braintree, Chelmsford and London, bought the lease. By then the kilns and chimneys were prominent landmarks. Brown enlarged the works, built workmen's houses and a tramway to Upminster station. The brickworks continued to operate until 1933; and it was then demolished Pit to the south of the brickworks for brick earth, At the base of it was boulder clay which, apart from a patch at Hornchurch is the most southerly evidence of the ice sheet during the whole of the Ice Age. Pit for the brickworks north of the lane.
Pot Kiln wood. Managed by the Woodland Trust and part of the Thames Chase
Pantile Cottages. Built for the brickworks along the road
Plaintile Cottages. Built for the brickworks at right angles to the road

Fleet Close
Recreation Ground

Thursday, 24 March 2011

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Emerson Park

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne continues to flow south towards the Thames


Suburban area on the edge of Upminster

Post to the north Page's Wood
Post to the south Upminster
Post to the east Pot Kilns


Hubbard’s Chase
Named for Hubbard’s Farm which stood here into the 20th
Elliot playground, grassy children’s play area
Grasslands
Hubbards Chase Piggery

Hubbards Close
The Old Forge, asphalt contractors.
Fortune Farm, Animal by products

Wingletye Lane
This was once called Hay Lane after Hay Green which was near Lillyputs
272 Lillyputs Equestrian Centre. Lilliputs, is a 17th timber-framed house. The name was first noted in 1777 but the site was part of Drywoods in the Lane, dating from 1345. There is a moat here.
Drywoods, stood south of Lilliputs and was demolished early 20th.
Pond with embankment near the house probably an early-18th canal.

Wych Elm Road
Names for Wych Elm Farm, which itself was named for a particularly large tree.

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex

Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Thames Tributary River Ingrebourne - Page's Wood

Thames Tributary River Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne flows southwards towards the Thames


Post to the south Emerson Park
Post to the north Harold Wood Park



Hubbard's Chase
Little Chef, now defunct
Site of Hornchurch Athletic CC original field in 1936 . It was then a reclaimed farmers field. Once the Second World War started they had to leave and the field returned to the farmer, with the dressing rooms converted back to a barn.


Page’s Wood
Largest Forestry Commission area in Thames Chase. There are bridges over the Ingrebourne and sculptures. It was formed by combining the land of Mount Pleasant and Pages Farm. Over 100,000 trees have been planted and there are swathes of woodland between grassy meadows.

Prospect Road
Brock & Son, firework makers, opened a factory in the area of Prospect Road. It was managed by John R. Brock closed soon after his death in 1906.
Prospect Farm
Ingrebourne Farm


Recreation Avenue
Harold Wood Primary School

Southend Arterial Road
Hotel Mount Pleasant Farm. Demolished was a timber-framed farm house dating from the 16th. It was called Wingletye in the 19th century,

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Harold Wood

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne continues to flow southwards towards the Thames


The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield continues to run north eastwards from Harold Wood Station.

Post to the north Harold Wood
Post to the south Page's Wood
Post to the west Harold Wood

Harold Wood Park
A large area of amenity grassland with footpaths. There is a large play and sports area, The River Ingrebourne runs through it. Harold Wood Athletic Football Club set up in 1908 is based here as is the cricket club. New Wooden Bridge across to Page’s Farm site and also decorative wooden entrance arches
Miniature Golf Course

Shepherd’s Hill
Page’s Farm originally c13. Altered and raised by a storey in the c17, timber frame concealed by render. Three-room plan with rear gabled projection. Cross-passage brace with the date 1663 and initials of the Witham family. Has reused older timbers.
Outbuildings included a late 19th timber-framed barn on a brick plinth with a wagon-entrance m- demolished in gales. There are other 19th outbuildings and a small late 18th timber-framed and weather boarded barn, with internal partitions.
91 Shepherd and Dog
Cockabourne Bridge

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
London Borough of Havering. Web site

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Harold Wood

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne flows south west and is met by Paine’s Brook flowing from the north west.


The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Harold Wood Station


Post to the west Harold Hill
Post to the east Harold Park
Post to the south Harold Wood


Church Road
Bates Industrial Estate – Bates were the developers of the brickworks site in the 1940s.
The Old Brickworks Industrial Estate. Harold Wood Brickworks were established by 1878 by John Compton, later of the Grange and was sold in 1887 to Alfred Rutley. By 1894 it was run by George King from Northampton who bought the site in 1896. The brickworks had a siding at Harold Wood station. King extended the works and built four cottages but the works closed around 1900. It was used for grazing until it was reopened in 1929by Hermann Noppel. It closed again in 1933 to become waterlogged. It was redeveloped as an industrial estate In the 1940s by Thomas Bates and Son
Elms Industrial Estate
Harold Court Primary School 1929
Painsbrook Adventure Playground and Open Space – green play space around the brook.

Harold Court Road
Harold Court built by a Brentwood solicitor as a mansion in 1868. He became bankrupt and it became a children’s home, an asylum, a sanatorium, a teacher training college and then flats.
Harold Park Baptist church. Founded in 1930 but in 1959 joined the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical churches.

Harold Park
Harold Wood

Said to be where King Harold hunted in the woods and the area was part of a royal estate in his lifetime.

Ingreway
Part of the Sunnytown development

Sunnytown
Bungalow estate by Essex builders Iles and Co. After the First World War on the lands of Horse Block Farm. It is an estate of twee bungalows.

Sources
British History Online. Web site
Harold Park Baptist Church. Web site
Harold Court Primary School. Web site
London Borough of Havering. Web site

Thames Tributary Paine’s Brook - Harold Hill

Thames Tributary Paine’s Brook
The brook flows south towards the Ingrebourne and the Thames


Post to the north Harold Hill
Post to the east Harold Park
Post to the south Harold Wood

A12 Colchester Road
Football Ground
Telephone Exchange
Paine’s Bridge

Amersham Road
Mead Primary School

Goosehays Drive
44 in December 1948 the first family on the estate moved in. The father was a bus driver, with seven children. Two of his five boys were in the military and one of his two daughters was in the Women’s Land Army.

Melksham Close
Morris Dancer Pub. Listed 18th house. Originally New Hall Farmhouse in red and blue brick. It was originally built 1625 -1675 and the name ‘New Hall’ is medieval so it likely stands on the site of an earlier building. It is effectively two houses built together side by side since it has two separate roofs. Inside all rooms are interconnected. At one time it had a priest-hole approached from a spiral staircase and stepping through a doorway. It was a deep niche in the wall designed to appear empty from outside. The house was bought by the L.C.C. in 1947 and converted into a pub

Painsbrook Way
Painsbrook Way Open Space – green space alongside the brook

Petersfield Avenue
Salvation Army Harold Hill Corps
St. Paul’s church built in 1953 for the new L.C.C. estate.

Spilsby Road
Spilsby Business Centre

Thames Tributary Carters Brook - Harold Hill

Thames Tributary Carters Brook
The brook flows more or less south towards the Ingrebourne and changes its name to Payne’s Brook


Post to the north Noak Hill
Post to the south Harold Hill

Central Park
Swimming Pool
Health Centre
Community centre
Central Park Leisure Centre
The David Crompton Lodge residential care home
Long Wood, ancient woodland owned by the Council

Dagnam Park
Named from an estate called ‘‘Dagenhams ‘or ‘Dagnams’ in the middle ages having been owned in the early 14th to William de Dageham. Dagnams was a grand estate which was eventually owned by the Neave family who gradually bought the whole area up. They were followed by the London County Council.
Hatters Wood. Ancient and secondary woodland, ponds. Now a nature reserve.
Moat. This was the moat for Cockerel's house which in 1633 was a substantial gabled building, standing outside the moat which was used as an orchard. It had been a medieval manor owned by the Cockerell family; in the 19th it was called Dagnam Park Farm. It was demolished in 1948.

Dagnam Park Drive
Brookside junior school

Gooshays Drive
Follows the course of a tree lined road to Gooshays House which was surrounded by large elm trees
A medieval name which and means 'enclosures where geese are kept'. It is first recorded as a manor in the 14th and was eventually taken over by the LCC. A large brick mansion stood there and in front of it were terraced gardens, and two medieval horse-shoe ponds and beyond them Payne's Brook. The house faced east. A farmhouse was built on the site in the late 18th and this was demolished in 1961. At the back of the house was a timber and thatched barn, which was burnt down in 1958. The London County Council acquired the house in 1947 with the original intention of using it as a Community centre, but it was thought to be unsafe, and it was demolished in 1961.

Harold Hill Estate
Harold Hill Farm was built by the Neave family in 1829. The Estate was built by the London County Council in the 1940s Originating in Abercrombie and Forshaw’s Greater London Plan which recommended a 'quasi-satellite town' here, In 1947 the remaining 850 acres of Dagnams Park Farm was taken over by the LCC,. It was designed by the LCC Architect S. Howard. It began as an estate with proper brick construction methods in 1948 and was complete by 1954-6 with housing for over 25,000 laid out around existing woods and mature trees. It was planned on a neighbourhood principle but is still recognizably a pre-war garden suburb.

Petersfield Avenue
Church of the Most Holy Redeemer. 1964 Roman Catholic
William the Conquerer

Tring Walk
Havering College of Further and Higher Education. Quarles Campus. Quarles was an 11th local poet.

Trowbridge Road
Jehovah’s Witnesses Hall.

Sources
Osborne. Defending London

Monday, 21 March 2011

Thames Tributary Carters Brook - Noak Hill

Thames Tributary Carters Brook
The Brook flows south towards the River Ingrebourne and the Thames


Post to the west Noak Hill
Post to the north Havering Plain 
Post to the east Weald Side
Post to the south Harold Hill

Chequers Road
The Forge, architectural ironwork


Church Lane
Hill Farm. The Long House.
St.Thomas. Built as a chapel of ease in 1842 by the London architect George Smith, as a memorial to for Lady Frances Neave of Dagnams. It is a small building of red brick with a tower was restored in 1971. Inside is an 18th chamber organ from Dagnams and a collection of old glass
Churchyard, monuments to the Neaves, including a Grecian pedestal to Charlotte Mary Neave, with a mourning woman.
School House Community Centre. This was St. Thomas's Church of England school built in 1848 by subscription and government grant for 96 children. In 1936 it became a school for mixed juniors and infants. It has since closed and was used as a restaurant for a while.
Open space with hall. Sports and views.

Dagnam Park
Richard Neave bought Dagnam Park Estate in 1781. He was a director of Hudson’s Bay Company and a West India Merchant, Governor of the Bank of England and High Sheriff of Essex. He enclosed the area in 1814. The park and gardens had been laid out in the late 17th but 1812 the landscape gardener Humphrey Repton, who lived at Hare Street, redesigned the layout
Dagnams. There was an earlier house on a slightly different site. It was rebuilt by Richard Neave and the family lived there until after the Second World War and it was demolished in 1950.
The wall that surrounded the garden exists below ground level and they were demolished in 1959. A mulberry tree from the house survives here.
Pond still exists and was a bathing pool and there is a step down into the pool. There is also a stone dog
Moat.

Lower Noak Close
Dagnam Priory this was a red brick mansion. Taken over by the London County Council and demolished in 1956. Its origins are obscure but it was probably mid 19th. It stood in 40 acres of woodland with specimen trees.
Pond – the pond associated with the house remains.

Noak Hill.
The name was recorded, with this spelling, in 1490 but later as ‘Nook’ or ‘‘Note...

Noak Hill Road
Rose Cottage. Timber-framed and weather boarded
Thatched Cottage timber-framed and weather boarded
Old Keeper's Cottage timber-framed and weather boarded
Orchard Cottages, c18 two pairs, both brick
Meadow Cottages, c19, two pairs, both brick
Holly Tree Cottage, timber-framed and tarred weatherboarding, late c18.,
Manor Farm. Complex of 19th buildings

Sources
Osborne. Defending London

Thames Tributary Carter’s Brook - Noak Hill


Thames Tributary Carter’s Brook
The Brook rises in this area and flows south towards the River Ingrebourne

Post to the east Dagnam Park

Post to the north Noak Hill


Church Road
Spice Pit Farm
Spice Pit Wood

Cummings Hall Lane
Lakeview Park - new housing
Piggery

Noak Hill
The name of Noak Hill is probably derived from oak trees but it might also be to do with a family name
The Neave family were the local lords of the manor from the early 19th when it was acquired by Richard Neave, a City merchant.

Noak Hill Road
Romford Common lay around the road south of the Bear Inn and to the north was Noak Hill Common. Noak Hill Road was laid following the enclosure of the commons in the early 19th. Roman tiles were found in this area near the Bear Inn.
Bear Inn was previously The Goat House but renamed in 1715 also called the ‘Brown Bear’. Bought by Neave. In the 1960s there was a zoo there said to be the largest outside London Zoo and which has a ‘sad looking’ bear.

Paternoster Row
Widdrington Farm. Called 'Wolves' and sold in the early 19th. Was amalgamated with 'Joys' farm and was known as that in the late l870s it was renamed Widdrington Farm. It stands on a medieval site and the farm buildings include a timber framed cross wing building from the late 17th later encased in brick and re-roofed. In 1558, a tile kiln is mentioned here and digs at Noak Hill revealed late 12th and early 13th pottery, including jug handles. If a kiln was here it was probably producing pottery for Hornchurch Priory who owned the manor 1243- 1391.

Sunday, 20 March 2011

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Harold Park

TQ 56 92
Thames Tributary River Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne flows south west towards the Thames


The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Harold Wood Station

Post to the west Harold Wood
Post to the north South Weald
Post to the east Boyles Court


Boundary London/Essex/Havering.
The boundary used to follow the Weald Brook until, just past the corner of Mount Avenue it joined the Ingrebourne River. The boundary then turned sharp eastwards crossing the railway and went along the northern boundary of the sewage works, crossed Head Lane and continued eastwards. This has since been replaced by taking the boundary down the M25


Harold Park
A stretch of land between the A12 and the Ingrebourne.

Nags Head Lane
Thames Water Treatment Station. Sewage works opened for Brentwood in 1912. South Weald and Shenfield Special Drainage District. At first R. Preston, a local solicitor offered to deal with Brentwood sewage by spreading it on land in Nag's Head Lane, adjoining his house, Harold Court. This caused a terrible stench and in 1881 he absconded, the freeholder refused to take over the contract. It was agreed in 1882 that the authority should buy the Nag's Head Lane site and works were completed there in 1884.

Sources
British History Online. Web site
Thames Water. Web site

Thames Tributary Stream - Dytchleys

Thames Tributary Stream
A stream flows south west to join Weald Brook just south of The Chequers


Rural area with big houses once in institutional use.

Post to the west Weald Side
Post to the north South Weald Common
Post to the south St.Vincent's Hamlet

Chequers Lane
Weald Bridge
The Chequers Tavern. Closed for a while. This was Bar Blush but closed down because of noise issues.

Coxtie Green Road
Dytcheleys. This is a house dating from 1727. There are some later extensions. Collinson Hall of the Shorthorn Dairy Co., lived there c. 1878–90. Used by Queen Mary College, London during the 1960/70s and was part of their sports facility.
Stable and service buildings. These are 18th and 19th in red brick. There is a 3 storey clock tower
Gilstead Hall. 1726 house. This is a red brick house with the date ‘1726’ and the initials ‘LW’. It was called Wealdside in the 18th, and home to the Wrights, Roman Catholic bankers. By 1863 it was a boys' boarding school and 1900- 1937 it was home to the Crawshay family. Used by Queen Mary College in the 1960s and 1970s as part of their sports complex. Now developed for housing.
Frieze Hall Farm includes Brentford Brewing
Oakhurst Wood
Gilstead Wood
Weald Park Golf Course and Hotel
Jewish Cemetery. The remains of Sephardic Jews from the Novo cemetery, in were re-interred following development at Mile End near the country manor of Dytchleys. Spanish and Portuguese Jews had fled from the persecutions and in 1650 they founded Shaar HaShamayim in the City of London in 1650. It was the first modern professing Jewish community in the British Isles and is the origin of the present Jewish community of Britain as a whole.

Sources
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Jewish Cemetery Project. Web site
Jewishgen. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Pub history. Web site
Victoria County History. Web site

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Thames Tributary Weald Brook - Weald Side

TQ 54 96
Thames Tributary Weald Brook
Thames Tributary Weald Brook. The brook continues to flow south and meets a brook coming from the west at a point where the boundary line turned.

Post to the west Navestock Common
Post to the north Horseman Side
Post to the east Dytchleys
Post to the south Havering Plain

Boundary
The old London/Havering/Essex boundary continued due east and then woes north east to the end of a path from Waterhale. It continued to meet a stream and then turned south east down Weald Brook. It has since been altered to go down the motorway.

Horseman side
Honeysuckle Cottage. Also called Houghton’s. 16th house with many alterations. Exposed timber-frame on a medieval hall house with modern herring-bone brick infilling. One medieval window remains.

Thames Tributary - Stream - Navestock Common

Thames Tributary – Tributary Stream to the Weald Brook
A tributary stream to the Weald Brook flows north east

Post to the west Watton's Green
Post to the south Noak Hill
Post to the east Weald Side
Post to the north Navestock

Horseman Side
Watton Farm. Moated site. The Watton Farmhouse is 17th Timber-framed and weather boarded
Waterhales
Waterhale Farm. 16th Timber-framed and rendered house. Archaeological investigation has found brick foundations of an earlier hall house in the garden. Pond in front.
Barn at Waterhales Farm. Early 17th Timber-framed, weather boarded barn.
Lee Farm
The Priors Golf Course
Stapleford Abbots Golf Course

Navestock Kennels. 17th house Timber-framed and weather boarded.
New Hall Farmhouse. Early 19th yellow brick house.

M25

Navestock Common
Enclosed in 1770 and roads across it built then. Now it is largely golf courses.

Thames Tributary Weald Brook - Horseman Side

Thames Tributary Weald Brook
The Weald Brook rises in this area and flows south to the Ingrebourne and the Thames. It is met by a tributary from the east


Post to the east South Weald Common
Post to the south Weald Side
Post to the west Navestock


Horseman Side
Alma Arms
Whitehouse Farmhouse. 16th Timber-framed, weatherboarded house. Barn converted to a garage.
Navestock Mission Chapel converted to a house. Opened 1897 as a nonconformist chapel and then used as a local mission for the parish church. Plaque on the front.
Monument beside the road


Old Road
Sabine’s Farm House. Early 16th Timber-framed house. Extended and altered over the centuries.
Rose House

Sabine’s Road
Sabine’s Green

Tan House Lane
King William IV pub. 19th Timber-framed and plastered building. Closed but free standing sign still in place.
Bower Farm. Italianate nude sculpture garden, duck pond, gypsy caravans, Chinese ducks, and black swans.

Thames Tributary Stream South Weald Common

Thames Tributary Stream
This stream flows westwards towards the Weald Brook, itself a tributary to the Ingrebourne, and the Thames


Post to the west Horseman Side
Post to the east Bentley
Post to the south Dytchleys

Coxtie Green Road
Oakhurst Farm

Princes Road
Princes Gate Farm. The farm was here by the mid 19th.
Steam mill which has been converted to a house. It is a 19th Timber-framed and weather boarded building. The gables are ornamented and the main block has a projecting hoist loft. There is a wrought-iron weather vane. At the back are single storey weather boarded buildings round a yard. At one time there was also a brick chimney.
Granary. This is a 17th timber-framed, weather boarded, building. There are carpenter’s marks on the frame.

South Weald Common

Tan House Lane
Tan House. Late 18th house with a timber-frame which is pebble dash rendered.
Lashe’s Farm. House of 1600. Timber-framed and rendered. Inside ceiling joists have carpenter’s marks. Thought that part of the house was a dairy.
Sabin’s cottage. This is a small medieval house which had a hall with service and solar areas. It is timber-framed and weather boarded. Soot marking show where it was originally open to the roof. William Sabine was a 13th resident after whom it is named.

Wheelers Lane
Slight remains of an ancient earthwork which William Stukeley, the 18th antiquarian, described it as a temple, following visits.

Friday, 18 March 2011

Tributary to the Thames - Stream - Bentley

Tributary to the Thames
This tributary rises in this area and flows west towards the Weald Brook, itself a tributary to the Ingrebourne, and the Thames

TQ 57848 96578

Pleasant country village with mill and church, and some modern warehousing industry - plus a busy main road.

Post to the west South Weald Common

Ashwells Road
McColl Martin. Warehousing complex. They are a retailing group with over local 1,250 Convenience stores. The earliest store opened in 1901 in Glasgow and since then there have been takeovers and expansion.
St Paul’s CofE Primary School. In 1864 Henry Moss set up a new church school for the poor of South Weald. In 1893 an infant room was added. Following a fire it was rebuilt in 1923. It was further enlarged in 1958 and 1974

Mores Lane
This was once called Howgate Lane
Bentley mill, recorded 1722, which was on the north side of the lane and was a post mill until c. 1820, when a brick tower mill replaced a wooden building. It was worked by the Moss family 1800 - 1884, when it was sold.
St.Paul’s church designed by Ernest Lee and opened in 1880. Damaged in 1945 by a German rocket. It was opened as a chapel of ease and the vicar, Charles Belli, along with Octavius Coope, of Ind Coope Brewery, funded it and the site was given by Christopher Tower of Weald Hall. It became a parish church in 1951. The church stands beside a wood near Navestock Side.
Bentley Fishery – manmade lakes roughly cover the original area of the stream and spring.

Snakes Hill
The Mores. Woodland managed by the Woodland Trust. Mature woodland with wet areas, including alder woodland. Boardwalks have been provided. The wood has, mature oak trees standing above hornbeam coppice – which once provided fuel for London. Oaks at the western end of the wood were felled at the end of the Second World War. The stream flows through this woodland
Mores Plantation. There is an earthwork here –a writer has suggested that it was a 'temple of the druids' which William Stukeley noted in the 18th.

Sources
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
St.Paul's Church. Web site
St.Paul's School. Web site
Victoria History of Essex
Woodland Trust. Web site

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Brook Street

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne flows south west down the A12


The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Harold Wood Station
TQ 57652 92827

Small village and subsequent developments on the main roads into and bypassing Brentwood

Post to the north South Weald
Post to the west Harold Park
Post to the south Boyles Court
Post to the east Warley Hospital

A12 Brentwood Bypass

Brook Street
This was a hamlet and manor of 150 acres alongside the brook and the Roman Road. The estate was managed from the house. The first owner was Sir William de Bruyn succeeded by his later family members and later the Tyrrells and Harlestons and by the 15th Ropers
The road is on the line of the Roman Road to Colchester
17-21 House now divided into 3 cottages. Early 16th Timber-framed, rendered and colour washed, appears to be a four-bayed house with an open hall
Holiday Inn  Nags Head. 18th building which had this name in 1777
Stone House, built 1891 of random brick, stone, and flint, using some material removed from Brentwood church when it was rebuilt in 1883
The Bull. Public house. Built 1600, and Timber-framed and plastered.

Dark Lane
Mascalls. Rebuilt early 19th house with many additions and alterations. Brick, rendered and colour-washed. Inside there is a spiral stair in stair tower for the servants.
Stable block. From the early 19th in red brick,
Mascalls Cottages

London Road
Marygreen Manor Hotel. There have been houses on this site since 13th at first surrounded by a moat. In the 15th it was improved by Henry Roper and renamed The Place. At the dissolution it as passed to the Duchy of Lancaster. By the mid 16th it was renamed Brook Hall and it became the Manor of Mary Green after a new bride and the Wright family were to live here for the next 200 years and it became known as Moat House. In the Second World War, the house was used by the Army and in 1968 became a hotel
101 Golden Fleece. Parts of the building date from the 13th and it was recorded as an inn in 1745. It was originally a timber-framed house but there have been many centuries of additions and alterations. Inside the timber structure is exposed. It has been suggested that the four -bay open hall was built when the house was renovated by Waltham Abbey so they could use it as a court house for their local estate.

Sources
British History Online. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site


Thursday, 17 March 2011

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - South Weald

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The three initial streamlets, flowing southwards, join and then turn south west along the line of the A12.


Post to the north South Weald
Post to the west South Weald
Post to the south Brook Street
Post to the east Brentwood


A12

The 5-mile long Brentwood bypass dates from 1965 and in 2001, was resurfaced. The Ingrebourne runs along the line of the road

Hillside Walk
A Roman gold ring with the Chi Rho monogram was found here in 1948.

Spital Lane
Once called Spit Lane but more likely also connected to a leper hospital was founded here before 1201. This was on the corner with Brook Street and remains could still be seen in the 18th.

Weald Park Way
Colmar. Stable and riding school.

Weald Road
South Weald . Village which in 1062 was granted by Earl Harold Godwin son to Waltham Abbey. It is mentioned in Domesday when it was forest with pannage.
Charles Church Homes
Tower Arms, an 18th free house. Above the entrance is ‘ALAA’ and ‘1704’. This was a house called ‘Jewell’s. It is Red brick with chequered burnt headers
Spread Eagle - an earlier public house which was west of the church and which was re named ‘Tower Arms’ in the 19th.
St. Peter's Church. This is a hilltop building of about 1150 in Kentish ragstone and flint with a chevron decorated Norman doorway and 16th tower, ‘restored’ by SS Teulon in 1868 funded by Charles Belli. The 19th church walls use conglomerate and putlog holes which occur in Essex churches but which here Teulon used as decorative
elements. There is private door into the church for the occupants of Weald Hall. The church is large for the village and until the middle of the 19th this was the main church for the area and Brentwood was under its jurisdiction. There is supposed to be a secret tunnel running two miles between the two. Inside the choir has stone angels playing musical instruments. The church includes Weald Hall Chapel which commemorates Sir Anthony Browne, founder of Brentwood school, Erasmus Smith and members of the Tower family. There is also the tomb of Lord Chief Justice Scroggs, involved with Titus Oates. The Iron chancel rails are by GG Scott
Church hall of 1981 is attached and built to match the church
Churchyard. Tower family graves in an enclosed area with a private gate from the park
Lych gate. Built 1868 by. S Teulon, Oak framed with a flat tiled Roof
Belvedere tower, polygonal, castellated, built for the views and as a family museum for the Tower family. Demolished in 1905 but mound remains.
Weald Hall. Tudor mansion was demolished in 1950 following occupation by the military in the Second World War. The site of the hall is now covered by the Belvedere car park, but there are brick steps going to the gardens and the base of the Belvedere

Wigley Bush Lane
Wigley Bush is the old name for the road – for a while it was Vicarage Road.
Browne’s Almshouses. Twelve Almshouses in communal grounds with a central Chapel. Ten of them were built plus the chapel, were designed by S S Teulon and built in 1854 using legacies of Sir Anthony Browne in 1567. Two more were added in the 1960’s on land donated by the Tower family. They are owned by the Browne and Wingrave Almshouse Charities. They are red brick in a long group down the lane with the chapel central. The end cottages have gable ends with ornamental figures in Gothic niches. South of the chapel is an octagonal Well head containing a pump and a frieze with a text from Proverbs.
St Peter’s Church of England Primary School. Built 1957 and 1968 to replace a building which was opposite the church and funded by Charles Belli.
Vicarage Wood
Luptons, early 18th house which in the 19th was home of Edward Ind, of the Ind Coope brewery in Romford.
Wealdcote, a 16th building, with 17th additions. It is timber-framed, plastered and rendered. Comparison of its ground plan with other local examples, and its closeness to the church, suggests that it could have been the court hall. This building would need two entrances and these could have existed.
Granary. South of Wealdcote, This is dared 1800 and is timber-framed and weatherboarded,
The Cottage. Early 19th Timber-framed, weather boarded and rendered house. With an Open wooden verandah across whole front with swept roof, and trellis uprights. In front are iron spear-head railings with pine cone terminals
South Weald Post Office. Early 19th timber-framed house. The front of the house has iron spear-head railings with pine-cone finials

Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - South Weald

Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne rises from springs in the area of Weald Road and three small streams flow south.


Post to the south South Weald

Sandpit Lane
South Weald Camp – this is thought to be late Iron Age and the road runs right through it. It is has a single rampart and ditch, is circular, and covers 7 acres. It is in a bad condition
Langtons. Mid-16th house in red brick and in an original rectangular plan, It is named from Simon Langton, 1327
Sandpit Cottage
Cricket ground

Weald Park
The Park is 700-years old and covers 500 acres. Landscaping was done in the early 18th for Hugh Smith, lord of the manor 1732-1745. Weald Park was taken over by the military in the Second World War for Home Guard training. The estate was sold in 1946 and purchased by Essex County Council in 1953. There is a wood with a picnic area and wide parkland leading down to a lake.
The Forest
Deer Park
Foxdown Cottage
The Cottage

Weald Road
Sandpits
Cricket Ground

Sources
Osborne. Defending London

Thames Tributary Mardyke -Purfleet

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke turns south and discharges into the Thames



Post to the north Purfleet Ranges
Post to the south Darent Mouth
Post to the east Purfleet
Post to the west Crayfordness

Sea Wall
Flooding has always been a problem in the Thames Estuary. In the 16th tons of chalk from Purfleet was used to strengthen the sea-walls. The great flood of 1953 brought much damage to industrial Purfleet. A massive wall, which took 20 years to complete, now prevents another encroachment.

Mardyke
The Mardyke was once the boundary between local authorities areas – the boundary has been moved North West to the edge of what were the ranges – and is also now the London/Essex boundary.
Does the fleet' in Purfleet imply a harbour and thus implies a natural channel on the Mardyke - rather than 'dyke' which is a word for an artificial ditch. In this area the Mardyke is often described as a ‘drainage ditch’ and it has been suggested that the stream is older than the Thames and that it was once a continuation of the Darenth flowing north into the Thames from Kent, and which has a mouth directly across river from that of the Mardyke.
The mouth of the Mardyke is on part of the RSPB reserve and some hides overlook it. This area was once part of the Purfleet ranges.
New Foot Bridge across the Mardyke
Sculpture on the Thurrock side of the Mardyke called The Engagement Ring because it unites Purfleet and Rainham
Military railway - a line from a jetty on the Thames, crossed the mouth of the Mar Dyke and followed it northwards.

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Thurrock

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke continues to flow westwards


Post to the west Purfleet Ranges
Post to the north Aveley
Post to the east Aveley
Post to the south Purfleet


A13 Thames Gateway Road
Opened in 1998

Arterial Road
The Southend Arterial road, opened in 1925, crossed the Mardyke ran through Watt's Woods, taking up sections of Back Lane.
Faggs Farm
Telephone Exchange

London Road
Part of the Southend Arterial road, opened in 1925
Warehouses
Milehams Industrial Estate

New Tank Hill Road

Purfleet Road
Aveley Sports and Social Club ground. Also called Fireman’s Club.
Sports ground

Tank Hill Road
This was originally called King's Road and was a gated road, built by the government after 1760, to access the powder magazines
Mardyke bridge, built in the 1760s by the Ordnance Board, was improved in the 1850s and, cast-iron bridge was built by the county in the 1880s.

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Aveley

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows westwards


An area of marshland north of the river. Housing from the 1950s set in fields and marshes with no sign of any facilities or anything else. The new A13 motorway standard bypass runs between the housing and the Mardye


Post to the west Aveley
Post to the east Ship Lane

A 13 Thames Gateway Road

Hall Road
Aveley Village Clinic

Love Lane
School. The Aveley secondary school moved here from the Back Lane site in 1964 when a school for 600 was built here. It became a comprehensive school in 1971 and moved away in 1976. The site is now housing

Ship Lane

Sources
Victoria History of Essex

Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Ship Lane

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south w
est

Post to the west Aveley
Post to the north Ockendon Junction 30
Post to the south West Thurrock



A13
Arterial road. The Thames Gateway section of the A13 dates from 1998 and comes from Wennington as a three lane dual carriageway. It intersects with the M25 at Junction 30. The A13 here dates mostly from the 1980s - including the flyover above the M25 which stood here incomplete for over 15 years.

Back Lane
Four deneholes recorded to the north west of the lane.

M25
Thurrock Service Area

Ship Lane
The lane existed by the end of the 16th
The Thurrock Hotel. This was a College which the South Brothers turned into a fitness centre and then a hotel. In 1939 a senior council school was opened in Back Lane for 480 children from Aveley, Purfleet, and West Thurrock. It became a county secondary school in 1945 and moved in 1964.
Thurrock Football Club sports ground. The club has played at here since they were set up in 1985. The ground was initially owned by Thurrock Hotel and had two pitches and its dressing rooms were in the main hotel building. It has now been rebuilt as a separate complex.
Mardyke Farm
Causeway Bridge. Crossing of the Mardyke, which was once a ford. “Causeway” implies there was a made road to it
Iron Age farmstead found north of the Mar Dyke during work on A13. This round houses and cattle shelters plus flint, metalwork, and pottery of 1st-4th. The surrounding fields appear to have survived after the coming of the Romans, since Roman coins have been found

Thames Tributary Mardyke - South Ockendon

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south west


Post to the east Stifford
Post to the west Ockendon Junction 30

Brannett’s Wood
Part Mardyke Woods. Owned by the Forestry Commission. It is said to be one of the oldest woodlands in Essex recorded in the 1339, and then called ‘Brendewod’ . It had been part of the Belhus Park Estate and managed as coppice but by 1880 this had ended. Along with the other adjacent woodlands it forms one of the largest woodland blocks in the area. There is Sycamore, Oak, Ash and Sweet Chestnut above Hawthorn, Hazel and Sycamore seedlings.

Fortin Close
Treetops school. Essex County Council Early Intervention Centre

Millard’s Garden
Forestry Ccommission. Part of Mardyke Woods and mentioned in 1397 as ‘Maynwaresgarden’. It had been part of the Belhus Park Estate and managed as coppice but by 1880 this had ended

Stifford Road
Industrial estate. Includes a number of brick and similar industries.

Monday, 14 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Stifford

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows westwards


Post to the west South Ockendon
Post to the east North Stifford


Back Lane
Davy Down riverside park. Named for the local Davy family who were landowners at one time
The Stifford Viaduct. Built in 1892 for the London Tilbury & Southend Railway for the line Grays and Upminster. It has 14 arches and is wide enough for a double track which has never been laid
Pumping station, built in 1928, with two diesel engines. The station is still in operation, pumping water from 150 feet. The taller building is the Stifford Pumping Station and the lower one adjacent to Back Lane is the Filter House. They are owned and operated by Essex & Suffolk Water Company.


Corran Way
Works


Cruik Avenue
Mardyke County Primary School was here, which opened in 1952 but the infants building became Branwood special school. Housing now on these sites.

High Road
The Dog and Partridge Inn.  Noted as an alehouse in 1757. In the 17th the timber-framed building was called Lovelands, and home to Sir Thomas Gurney. By the 18th it was called Clockhouse and housed an impressive clock the housing of which is still in the pub. It was registered as an independent meeting house in the 17th. It was rebuilt in 1934 but there is an original fireplace in the bar.

Mardyke valley golf club
Golf course in the grounds of Ford Place


Mardyke
Flows through this area in a deep valley and is older than the Thames. It used to be navigable as far as Bulphan.

Pilgrims Lane
This goes to West Thurrock continuing the road which has crossed the Mardyke. Said, by 19th historian, to be part of route by which pilgrims went to a river crossing on their way to Canterbury.
Davy Down Cottage. Thatched house. This was once The Swan Inn. The Harrow Inn, mentioned in 1738, was a single-storey weather boarded cottage close to Stifford Bridge.

South Road
Hill Farm. Farmed by the Winch family, but land also use for sand extraction.

Stifford Heath
Forty deneholes said to have been found in 1956 south west of where the railway crosses the Mardyke.


Stifford Hill
Smithy. Later known as The Forge and re-located across the road site used to make wrought ironwork and fencing.
1-2 Hill Cottages. Built 1600 and thought to be the smallest in Thurrock
The Gardens. Thatched
Poor cottages 18th alms houses were once here
Field of Peace. 1920s local authority IWW war memorial area. Sir Fredric and Lady Mary Millard Clarke once lived at Coppid Hall. Sir Fredric died in 1928, and his widow later donated the land to the elderly of the village on 19th June, 1933. The name derives from her wish that the field should be a place to 'sit in peace.'
Stifford Bridge. Built before 1487. In 1617 it was a stone bridge repaired by the county. In 1760 it was brick, over a 14-ft. waterway. It was replaced by an iron bridge in 1868 and again rebuilt in 1925 with a nice balustrade.
Bridge Meadow Farm
Ford Place. House with a gable with a plaque saying ‘1665’and there are 16th century walls. It has a core of a 1590 brick house, originally half "H" plan, with a Georgian west front of l747. It is in brown brick and at the front brick Tuscan pilasters are thought to be the first examples in Essex. There is a buttery and kitchen with an original l6th chimney and also two bread ovens. It was once called ‘Hobbes of Ford’’ and it was where the local lords of the manor lived from the late 17th but was part of the manor of South Ockendon Hall. After the Second World War it was divided into flats, and the grounds developed for light industry but later derelict following a fire in 1987.
Romano British cremations found near Ford Place north of the Mardyke.

Saturday, 12 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mar Dyke - North Stifford

Thames Tributary Mar Dyke
The Mar Dyke flows westwards


Post to the west Stifford

A13
Stifford junction

High Road
Once known as Stifford Street.
Stifford Lodge, now the Park Inn Hotel. A house had stood on this site since the 14th and some Tudor work can still be found in the building. Until the 18th it was called Deanes or Sherwells. It was rebuilt by one of the Kingsman family in the mid 18th.) Herbert Brooks cement manufacturer and chairman of Essex county council, lived here and then Col. J. D. Sherwood, paint factory owner. In the Second World War it was used as a Canadian military hospital. Sold to Truman’s in 1968 who, despite opposition from local pubs, turned it into a hotel and it later became a Europa Hotel.
Site of the ancient manor house of Stifford Hall which stood at the corner of High Road and Cuckoo Lane. It was derelict by the end of the 18th century
Coppid Hall. On the front is a plaque saying ‘This house hath been antiently called Coppid Hall." It is first mentioned in 1538 but rebuilt in 1753 and altered to the design of James Wyatt and an extension built in the 19th. It was empty and derelict by 1968 when it was auctioned and bought it was bought and turned into flats.
St. Mary’s church. The church's Glebe land is mentioned in Domesday so a church existed here then and there are Anglo Saxon remains on site. It is thought it stood on the Pilgrims’ route to Canterbury Pilgrimages. Built of local sandstone from quarries West Thurrock and Northfleet and local flint. Tower with oak-shingled broach spire, plus clock of 1885 which strikes a bell housed on steeple this was the Angelus bell. There are medieval stone heads on the south door, also in window, although is in the west window have been damaged. The north doorway is Norman although the door is 16th with 13th century ironwork and St. Clement was the patron saint of blacksmiths. Colony of bats in the church. Plaque to dead of the Second World War.
Churchyard. First World War Memorial
1 & 2 Church View. 18th cottage, timber framed, weatherboard and lath and plaster. Divided into two
Recreation Ground. Probably site of a pottery and tile yard in the mid 18th
Hall – North Stifford Community Group
Houses on the site of a cottage. 17th with a thatched roof, it was constructed entirely of wood and had a floor of trodden earth. Burnt down 1962.
Wren Cottage. Part of coverted pub called The Oaks. thatched 18th century building
Viola Cottage. Part of coverted pub called The Oaks
Lilac Cottage. Part of coverted pub called The Oaks
Honeysuckle Cottage
St Francis House. First house which Sir Francis Whitmore allowed to be built pre-1962. He insisted that it was in yellow brick and low rise.
Cherry Tree Cottage
Fircot
Caira. Said to be haunted.
Old School House, built 1840, originally the local school with teacher's house attached. Built by Wingfield Baker, Lord of the Manor
Old Post Cottage, said to have been used as a post office up to the 1940s.
Middlecott
Laburnum Cottage.
Browns Cottages late 19th
Mays Cottages late 19th century.

Mardyke Valley Golf Course
Built in the grounds of Ford Place, planted with specimen trees etc.

Marian Close
Site of Victorian rectory

North Stifford
'Stifford' comes from the Anglo-Saxon for ford, thus ‘a ford where a path crosses a stream’.

Stifford Clays Road
Part of an old route along the ridge, going eastwards to Orsett, and west to London

Well Lane
Thatched Cottage' 17th with later additions.

Thursday, 10 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Bulphan

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south, then turns south west

TQ 62413 85337

Dour countryside area of scattered farms

Post to the west Dunnings Lane
Post to the north Bulphan


Dunnings Lane
Blankets Farm. Mid 18th house in red brick

Fen Lane
Hatch Farm
Caylocks Farm
Stone Hall
Harrow Pub. Burnt down and derelict
Drakes Farm

Sources
Victoria History of Essex

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Bulphan

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows west and then turns south

TQ 62911 86282

Countryside area with fishing lakes and scattered farms

Post to the west Dunnings Lane
Post to the south Bulphan
Post to the east Bulphan


Clay Lane
Slough House
Slough House Lakes fishery


Sources

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Bulphan

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows southwards and is joined from the east by two other tributaries coming from another southbound stream to the east. It then turns west.

TQ 63928 86512

Bleak Essex countryside on the edge of Bulphan village

Post to the north Bulphan
Post to the west Bulphan

Brentwood Road

Bulphan Bypass

Peartree Lane

Sources

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Bulphan

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows southwards and is joined from the east by two other tributaries coming from another southbound stream to the east

TQ 63563 87798

Grim Essex countryside with scattered farms

Post to the north West Horndon
Post to the south Bulphan

Brentwood Road
Blue House Farm
Middleton Hall
Creative Music Academy


Bulphan By Pass

Mardyke
A tributary of the Mardyke forms the western boundary of a Roman field formation


Tilbury Road
Barnards Farm

Sources
Astbury. Estuary

Thames Tributary Mardyke - West Horndon

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke continues to flow southwards. Another tributary runs southwards to the east. Both are called Mardyke.


Post to the north East Horndon
Post to the south Bulphan

Station Lane

Tilbury Road
Old Mill Cottages
Dunton Hill Golf Course

Thames Tributary Mardyke - East Horndon


Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south
 East Horndon

Village with church and hall isolated above the Southend Arterial


Post to the west Thorndon
Post to the north Brentwood Road
Post to the south West Horndon


East Horndon church, on a little knoll. It is squat with two storeys. The chancel and south transept are 15th on the site of a thirteenth-century church; and the south chapel, porch and tower, were added in the 16th. Inside, are monuments to the Tyrells of Heron Hall, notably one dated 1442 to Alice Tyrell in an elaborately canopied niche, flanked by her children with their names on scrolls. The Tyrell family were responsible for the 15th rebuilding of the Norman church. There is a monument by Nollekens, dated 1776. It was taken into the care of the Redundant Churches Fund in 1972.

Southend Arterial Road
Crossing of the A128 with the A127 collection of refreshment places
Telephone Exchange now a house
The Halfway House which was a large pub. This is now a Travel Lodge and Little Chef. As the Halfway House it was halfway between Southend and London and a popular stop for beanos.
Derelict nightclub – called Twilights among other things

Hollow Bottom Shaw

Thorndon Country Park
Octagon Plantation. Designed by Capability Brown in 1733 for Lord Petrie

Tilbury Road
East Horndon Hall. The centre for the old manor of Abbots – one of the two manors which covered then area. 16th house originally timber-framed, but now entirely red brick. Inside an original large room on the ground floor of exceptional height, with beams and a wide wood-burning hearth.There is said to be a tunnel from the Hall to the church across the present Southend Road
East Horndon Hall Business Park. Largely heavy haulage.

Sources
British History Online. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Thorndon

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows southwards


Post to the east East Horndon
Post to the north Thorndon

Southend Arterial Road

Thorndon Country Park
Remains of Old Hall. Thorndon Hall replaced Old Thorndon Hall which the ruins of which are in what is now called as "ruin wood". The estate had been the manor of West Horndon and a building here was first noted in 1414 when Lewis John, a merchant, walled in a park and embattled the house. The old hall was burnt down in the early 18th and later the remains were used as farm buildings. The portico had been imported from Italy in 1742 and it was removed and remodelled for the new house.
Old Hall Pond. This was a fish pond for old Thorndon Hall. In the early 18th it became part of Lord Petre’s landscape garden. He had hot houses built on the western bank for the propagation of pineapples and bananas. It is currently used for angling.
Site of St.Nicholas Church
Mill Wood.
Thick Shaw
Straight Path Shaw
Pigeon Mount. Raised platform thought to be the site of a dovecote.
The Old Shop

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Thorndon

Thames Tributary Mardyke
A tributary to the Mardyke coming from the east joins another from the north and flows southwards.



Post to the south Thorndon
Post to the east Brentford Road


Thorndon Country Park
Menagerie Plantation. Robert James, the 8th Lord Petre housed a miniature zoo here which probably included terrapins, hummingbirds and squirrels. Ancient hornbeams
Obelisk Seat
The RookeryOld Deer Park. Pollarded oak and ancient hornbeams

Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Brentwood Road

Thames Tributary Mardyke
A tributary to the Mardyke flows eastwards from the area of Laindon Hills

TQ 63169 90623

Rural Essex are with farms and other buildings along the north:south running Brentwood Road

Post to the west Thorndon
Post to the south East Horndon

Brentwood Road
Cockridden Farm Estate, industrial estate
South Essex Golf Centre
Button Farm. Poultry centre set up in 1980
Park House

Heron Court – care home

Sources
Victoria County History. Essex

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Little Warley Hall

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south east


Post to the north Childerditch
Post to the south St.Mary's Lane


Old London/Essex boundary
This boundary has changed and now runs down the M25. However it previously followed the Mardyke, which it continues to do.

Little Warley Hall Lane
Little Warley Hall. Hall and service unit of what was a larger building now a single house. It is early 16th in red brick with
diaper work. Projecting garderobe tower. The house has been restored a number of times.
St.Peter’s Church. 15th Ragstone church with a tower. Timber-framed and brick projecting porch. Inside are parts of medieval pews, and 17th box-pews. Monument to Sir Denner Strutt and Dorothye 1641,
The Clearview. Health and Racket Club
Billericay Aquatic and Reptile Centre
Orchard Farm. Abattoir on site.
Orchard Cottages
Warley Hall Wood

Southend Arterial Road
Opened in 1925 by Prince Henry

Sources
Pevsner. Essex


Thames Tributary Mardyke - Childerditch

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south east

Old London/Essex boundary
This boundary has changed and now runs down the M25. However it previously followed the Mardyke and ran along the north of Warley Hall Wood.
TQ 60873 89530

Countryside area with industry and a bleak landscape


Post to the west Warley Street
Post to the south Little Warley Hall

Childerditch Hall Drive
Childerditch Industrial Park. About 1937 the Essex Brick Co. opened a works here. This works were taken over c. 1946 by the Costain Concrete Co. It has since become a major industrial site with many works in place. German prisoners of war were housed on this site.

Rectory Chase

Stahlton Lane
This was built to link the cement works at Childerditch Hall with the arterial road. The road name is that of a German concreting process developed in the 1940s and is used as a company name worldwide.
Pit or earthwork

Little Warley Hall Lane
Virginia Nursery

Sources
British History on Line. Little Warley. Web site

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Warley Street

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south east and is joined by a tributary from ponds on the golf course to the north east


Boundary London/Essex/Havering
This boundary line has now been replaced by a line which goes down the M25. The old line followed a path going south east from Cricket Ground. It turned north east still on the path but left it going south east, parallel with Warley Street, before reaching a ‘works’. It crossed Codham Hall Lane and then turned north east to cross Warley Street and continued, slightly more east but still north east. To meet the Mardyke, which it then followed southwards to the northern boundary of Warley Hall Wood

Post to the north Warley Gap

Post to the west Parkers Shaw
Post to the east Childerditch

Bird Lane
Great Warley Church of England Primary School, also known as the Lower Warley school. In 1843 the rector built a permanent school using a government grant, on a site given by Charles Winn, Lord Headley. The school was supported by subscriptions, and grants from the National Society. In 1862 a teacher's house was added. In 1936 it was changed to only take juniors and infants and was closed in 1968. Since converted to housing.

Codham Hall Lane
Lachets Shaw

Great Warley Street.
Normans
Normans Cottage
Old Pump Works. Now an office development. This was the Essex and Suffolk Water Pumping Station. It has two semi-subterranean reservoirs and four pump house buildings.

Rectory Chase
St.Peter’s Rectory

Warley Street
Warley Rose Garden. Founded in 1962 by Mr. Deaner and his son at the site of their piggery. They have developed a number of roses since then.
Dickensons
Home Meadow
Mangrove Cottages
Woodlands School. Yet another private fee paying place. Post to the north Warley Gap

Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Warley Gap

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south


Post to the west Great Warley
Post to the south Warley Street

Bird Lane
St Faith’s Farm. Pennorth and Stockdale Studs.
Clapgate Farm. The early 18th farm house was destroyed in bombing.

Magpie Lane
Bluehouse Farm. 17th house Timber-framed and weather boarded, some bomb damage.
Warley Park Golf Course. The course dates to 1973
Sycamore Court Care Centre. Care Centre, a purpose-built two-storey private care home run by South Cross Health Care
Little Warley Lodge. A large early 19th house built for George Winn. It was bought by the South Ockendon Hospital for use as an annexe and the first patients were admitted in 1954. In 1974it was transferred to the control of the Barking and Havering District Health Authority. It closed in 1987 and was sold. It is now called Warley Hall, and is a private nursing home. Sycamore Court, occupies some of the grounds

Warley Gap
Part of Thames Chase Community Forest it is old narrow belt woodland running south and steeply downhill. It is made up of oak, beech and silver birch and there are the remains of pits and banks from old gravel workings
Little Warley Common
Tree house
Thorndon Corner
Pump Farm House. Early 19th building in yellow brick. Has its own vineyard
Rustlings
Barrack Reservoir. This is on the Mardyke and adjacent to Pump Farm- there must be a connection.

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Great Warley

Boundary London/Essex/Havering.
The boundary runs north east to the west of Hole Farm Lane and then turns sharp east to the boundary of a wood and turns south to follow the boundary.

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke flows south east


Post to the west Great Warley
Post to the north Warley Road
Post to the south Parker's Shaw
Post to the east Warley Gap

Great Warley Street
Village green with war memorial
Chestnut Tree cottage – with pargetted tree on the wall
1 dairy and laundry
2 Two Door Cottage. 13th House - timber-framed, and
colour washed, it has had additions through succeeding centuries. It has several rare medieval features and also shows the evolution of a domestic building.
3 Warley Green Cottage 16th with later additions. Timber-framed. Part of one building with 4.
4 Beam Cottage. 16th with later additions. Timber-framed. Inside timber framing made up of a hall and cross-wing.
Abbey metal works. Wrought iron showrooms and includes a farrier.
De Rougemont Manor Hotel. This was originally Goldings which belonged to Evelyn Heseltine in 1876, who set up a manorial estate here. It has been renamed for Major General Cecil de Rougemont whose wife was the daughter of Evelyn Heseltine who came to Great Warley in 1875. Heseltine was a wealthy stockbroker, who funded the local church and built a local empire of farms. In the 1880s he added cottages, stables, dairy, and alterations and additions to the main house in a style that combined red brick, darkened half-timbering, and pargetting in a theatrical style designed by Ralph Nevill. After his death his house passed his daughter and on her death it became the New World Country Club, and later became the New World Hotel opened by a Ian Hilton, a Romford market trader who later renamed it De Rougemont Manor,
Wallets. 16th house said be named as a result of Canterbury pilgrims leaving money here before tackling the route across the marshes to the river but actually means that it is sited near a crossroads. It is a timber-framed, H-plan hall house, with a rear stair tower and various later additions. Inside is a hall and back-to-back fireplaces. Woodwork has carpenters’ marks and candle/rush-light burn marks. The house shows typical house modifications of the late 16th
St.Mary the Virgin Church. Built 1902-4 by C Harrison Townsend; with interior decoration and fittings by W Reynolds Stephens in Art Nouveau style. Outside is rough cast with limestone dressings, and there is a belfry tower with shingled spire. Rainwater down pipes have leaf decorated heads. Inside has been described as It is described as having `’an orgy of the English Arts and Crafts variety of the International Art-Nouveau' – for instance - the timber roof, has ribs decorated with embossed rose trees in aluminium leaf. Memorial windows replace glass destroyed in the Second World War. There are pendant lights with galvanised iron frames and enamel panels, flower bud metal shades and glass bead finials – lighting was electric supplied by a special generator, with a transformer in the vestry lobby. The font is white marble, with bronze angels and the cover in bronze with mother-of-pearl inlay. The pulpit is copper sheet with mother-of-pearl inlay panels and the lectern is similar. The church was paid for by Evelyn Heseltine and dedicated to his dead brother.
Lych gate to the church. Built by C Harrison Townsend. It is Oak with a tiled roof. The barge boards are carved with leaves and fruit and a plaque notes in 1903 in reign of King Edward VII. The gate, itself is oak with a serpentine top and heavy hinges with exaggerated studs
Tooks Farm Fairstead. House by J.L Pearson. Dated on the rain water head as 1889. In red brick with stone dressings and made up of 4 wings of ‘contrived irregularity'. Inside is lots of wood and plasterwork much in 17th style with elaborate plaster ceilings and frieze decoration .This was home to the local rector one of whom built a wooden church in the grounds. He left it to this parish of Baildon in Yorkshire where it was taken and re-erected.
Warley Elms. House built about 1800 on the site of an earlier house. It is f in yellow brick with stuccoed front plus a 20th billiard room. Inside is a flying stair with a mahogany handrail and iron balusters.
Elms Cottage built as a generator house to supply the 100 volt electricity for the church.

Hole Farm Lane

Warley Road
Thatcher’s Arms. 17th pub timber-framed. Inside some 17th features.
The Squirrels Nursing Home. Which was previously Coombe Lodge built for Edward Ind. 19th house in yellow brick. The frontage has a stucco Tuscan porch with columns and inside is a central hall with columns, panelled beams and plaster ceiling decoration.
Cricket ground

Monday, 7 March 2011

Thames Tributary Mardyke - Warley Road

Thames Tributary Mardyke
The Mardyke rises in Holden’s Wood and flows south east


Post to the west Boyles Court
Post to the south Great Warley
Post to the north Warley Hospital

Dark Lane
A medieval green lane between Brook Street and Great Warley

Eagle Way
Hartswood Spire Hospital. Private medical facility by BUPA
Water Tower

Great Ropers Lane
Great Ropers. Late 18th House – 1772 on drainage heads. It is in yellow brick, and cast-iron balconies on the first floor.
Ursuline Preparatory School. Another private ‘preparatory’ school. This one is Roman Catholic. The original school was founded in the early 1930s, and moved here in 1994 taking boys and girls aged 3-11 years.
Game larder at Great Ropers Listed. This is an octagonal building from the 19th in red brick. It has windows and a doorway in alternate faces with windows having gauze infill. There is shelving inside.
Bachelors Walk
Great Ropers Business Centre

Green Lane
Is it a Roman Road coming from Horndon?

Mascalls Lane
Mascalls Park Hospital, NHS County Mental Hospital
Warley Woods

Warley Common
In 1805 116 acres of common were sold to the War Office by George Winn, Lord of the Manor of Warley.

Warley Gap
Holden’s Wood. Boggy wood, includes the source of the Mardyke
The Headley – pub which was called the Headley Arms, for local resident Lord Headley, and before that was The Magpie

Warley Hill
Holy Cross and All Saints Church. built 1881. Roman Catholic and partly funded by the Willmott family of Warley Place.

Warley Road
Warley Place. Once a very famous Edwardian garden the site was bought by Frederick Willmott in 1875 and run by his daughter, Ellen, who made the gardens a showplace. The site is now run by the Essex Wildlife Trust, and the house has been demolished. Warley Place, belonging to Ellen Willmott, is now maintained as a nature reserve by Essex Wildlife Trust. A walk round gives glimpses of what the estate once was - exotic trees, remains of cold frames, greenhouses, reservoirs, a terrace and the conservatory.
Horse and Groom. On the corner of Mascalls Lane. It was there in 1770 and catered for horse racing on Warley Common – and called the Horse and Jockey in the 1700s. The present building is c.1900.
Warley Lea Farm. Haunted by the ghost of a bailiff who hanged himself, there are phantom footsteps on the stairs. Record impresario Joe Meek recorded a talking cat here.