Monday, 11 December 2017

Chiswick Grove Park


Post to the west Strand on the Green
Post to the south Chiswick Duke's Meadow
Post to the east Old Chiswick


Bolton Road
St.Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church. In 1944 Bolton Cottage here was bought by the Catholics and the church was built next door in 1964 designed by Dr. Plaskett Marshall.
Presbytery. This was converted from an existing house in 1958.

Burlington Lane
Named for the Earl of Burlington who bought Chiswick House in the late 17th.  It was the main route to Strand on the Green from Old Chiswick.
Chiswick Station. This lies between Kew Bridge and Barnes Bridge Stations on South Western Trains. It lay on the  branch line of the London and South Western Railway Company’s line from Windsor to Waterloo and opened in 1849 on the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway and was built on land and was a a requirement of the 1847 enabling Act.  The Station House was by William Tite like a classical villa. It was restored in 1989 and now let out as offices.  A mezzanine floor was added and a glazed entrance to open up spaces.
Goods yard closed 1958
Chiswick School. This opened as Chiswick County School for Girls in 1916 and a boys school opened next door in 1926. They became a co-educational grammar school in 1966 and in 1968 a comprehensive.
War  Memorial  homes 1922. The current cottages were originally built in 1940 and renovated in 2010 and are managed by the Stoll Foundation. They were Chiswick’s memorial of the Great War 1914 1918 and are for Homes of rest for Chiswick disabled men of His Majesty's forces and their families and for the dependants of those who fell in the war. A plaque says @ This memorial was re-dedicated by HRH The Countess of Wessex GCVO on 11th November 2010 following the redevelopment of The Chiswick War Memorial Homes.

Cedars Road
This is now part of the A4 with a complex past.  It originated as a suburban side road, built in the early 20th, and in the 1930s was a short road running west from Sutton Court Road, among other suburban roads.  By the early 1950s it had become a dual carriage way and joimed to what had become Ellesmere Road to the east and Great West Road to the west.  As a section of the A4 it is essentially a slip road onto the M4. It is sometimes known as "Great West Road" as part of the section rather than “Cedars Road”. A stretch of suburban road remains sectioned off from the dual carriageway.
Little Sutton Cottage. This stands facing the main road on the sectioned off suburban stretch of road. It is the only survival from what was  Sutton Village. It is a 16th house in colour-washed brick
Chiswick Garage. This garage site has been in place since the 1930s and is on the site of what was Little Sutton House. It is now a Porsche Garage, recently remodelled following a Planning Inspectorate decision.
Dairy Crest Site. In the 19th this was a dairy run by a local cowkeeper in the village of Little Sutton. It was sold to United Dairies in 1921. This developed  into a large depot which was demolished in 2012.  It has since become a large extension to the adjacent Porsche garage

Chiswick House Gardens
About two thirds of the gardens are covered in this square. The remainder – including Chiswick House – are in the square to the east.
This is a a pioneering naturalistic landscape. It is cited as the birthplace of the English landscape movement.  The gardens were an attempt to symbolically recreate a garden of ancient Rome by Lord Burlington. The gardens here were originally of a standard Jacobean design, but from the 1720s they were in a constant state of transition. Burlington and Kent experimented with new designs. The first architect appears to have been the king's gardener, Charles Bridgeman, who was believed to have worked on the gardens around 1720, and subsequently with William Kent, inspired by the landscape paintings of French artists. In 1929 the Duke of Devonshire sold the site to Middlesex County Council. It later came under the Ministry of Works and subsequently of English Heritage, Along with Hounslow Council the Chiswick House and Gardens Trust was set up in 2005.
Bowling Green. This has been since the early 18th and it is surrounded by old sweet chestnut trees. Also called Chestnut Square
Ionic Temple and Orange Tree Garden. This temple was designed by Lord Burlington in 1719.
Lilly’s Tomb. This is the grave of a pet dog and has a latin inscription. The dog belonged to Lady Harriett Cavendish around 1800.
Northern wilderness. In the 18th ‘wilderness’ was a fashion feature in gardens. It was planted with shrubs and had meandering paths.
The Lake. Originally Bollo Brook flowed through the south east part of the site. It was turned into a linear water feature and was modelled by William Kent in the 1730s.
Classic Bridge. Probably designed by James Wyatt in 1774. Damaged by Second World War bombing
Cascade. Designed by William Kent in 1738 – but never worked. English Heritage has tried to sort this out
Western wilderness. Designed by William Kent and this was changed in the 1780s by Samuel Lapidge.
Patte d’Oie and obelisk. These were designed to mirror each other across the lake The obelisk was designed by William Kent to display an antique Greek tombstone.

Devonshire Gardens
1-2 this was originally Mrs. Crampton’s Ladies College built in 1887

Ellesmere Road
This is part of the same section of A4, Great West Road, as Cedars Road in upgrading a road which was originally residential.

Elmwood Road
The road, and the church, are on the site of a lake which was in the grounds of Little Sutton House. This site of this house is now the Porsche garage in Cedars Road.
St.Michael’s Sutton Court.   In 1906 it was proposed to create a Parish of St. Michael, Sutton Court. The new church was to be financed from the sale of St. Michael, Burleigh Street, Strand. A wooden hall was built and services were held there until the church opened in 1909. The architects were Caroe and Passmore and it is in the Arts and Crafts style. The original wooden hall was replaced in 1996 by a new building

Fauconberg Road
The road runs on the line of a path between Sutton Court Manor and Chiswick Park Farm, accessed by a gate opposite the Manor.
Sutton Court Manor House. The house was on the corner with Sutton Court Road and in the late 17th it was the home of the Earl and ‘Countess of Faulconberg.  This was the house for Sutton Manor, the property of St.Paul’s Cathedral and dating from at least the late 14th.  The house was held and used by the Crown and then leased out. In 1800 it was sold to the Duke of Devonshire. It had had a malthouse and farm buildings, and by the 17th the gardens included a maze  and a bowling green. The house was rebuilt around 1795 and in the mid 19th was used as a school. In 1900 it was used as a temporary town hall and demolished in 1905.
Sutton Court Mansions 1906, on the site of the old manor house
Chiswick Park Club. This sports ground lay to the south of Fauconberg Road. In 1883 the Duke of Devonshire leased a piece of land to residents for a sports club. The other boundaries were what is now Grove Park Terrace, Sutton Court Road on the east and the railway line, Chiswick Park Lawn Tennis Club was located here and for many years the Middlesex Open Tennis Championships, were held there.
St Thomas's Sports Ground, From 1897 St Thomas's Hospital Medical School leased some of the Chiswick Park Club grounds as a sports field. From 1925 it was the Chiswick Cricket and Lawn Tennis Company but in 1946 Brentford and Chiswick UDC compulsorily purchased it for the St Thomas's housing estate

Grove Park Bridge
This bridge takes the north/south road over the railway at a point which was originally a level crossing. It was built in the late 19th following a fatal accident involving a horse bus. It is in London stocks bricks with red brick and stone piers

Grove Park Terrace
Level crossing with brick staircase over it.  Also apparently it has “4 unipart rail LED wigwags and 4 barriers SPX rail systems Romford and a rubber crossing plant with wooden anti trespass guids’
23 Clifton Works . This was the premises used by the estate builders in the 19th. It is now offices for a media company.
Domed brick structure outside Faulconberg Court. This is thought to be part of an ice house once in the grounds of Sutton Court. It was discovered by workmen in 1949

Grove Park Road
Old Station House. This was, until recently, the Grove Park Hotel. This was one of the first buildings on the Grove Park Estate built in 1867. It hoped to cater for the growing interest riverside and sporting activities. Originally a white wooden balcony ran around the building at first floor level.
Entrance gates to The Grove house would have stood at the south end of the road opposite the church.

Hartington Road
Hartington is the title of the Duke of Devonshire’s eldest son

Kinnard Avenue
In 1928 Grove Park House was replaced with modest detached houses by L.H. Harrington for the Kinnaird Estate Company.
Grove House, This stood near the corner with Hartington Road and Kinnard Road will have run through the centre of it! The house dated from around 1530, but is thought to have been on the site of an earlier one. It had been remodelled in the 18th by Decimus Burton, Iit had eighty acres of formal gardens, stables, an ice house and a lake, It was demolished in 1928 and there are stories of it being re-erected in the US.  Kinnaird Avenue was built on its site as part of a development by the Duke of Devonshire.. Some of the chestnut trees from the grounds remain.

Nightingale Close
The road name is a link with St Thomas's Hospital once the land owner here.
Grove Park Primary School. The school was opened in 1952 on a site previously owned by St Thomas's Hospital.  The purpose built Nursery class opened in 1985.

Spencer Road
1 site of The Roystons which was built in the 1870s and was at one time a home for motherless children

Staveley Road
Cherry Trees. Much of the street is lined with cherry trees for blossom in the spring. These were planted in the 1920s for the Cherry Blossom polish factory
22 Chiswick New Cemetery. Opened in 1933 on former water meadows between the Great Chertsey Road and the railway line. There are a large number of Russians and Poles buried here.  There is a large ‘art-deco’ style Chapel and landscaping is in a park style.
Chiswick School. This opened as a Central School in 1927  and became a secondary modern in 1968 having merged with Chiswick Grammar School. In 2012, it became an ‘Academy; and its name changed from Chiswick Community School to Chiswick School. Most of the buildings are new although the North Eastern block remains from the original girls' school.
Chiswick Park Farm.  This stood roughly on the site which is now the corner with Chatsworth Road. In 1894 this became the club house of a golf course built in the surrounding fields.  It closed because of encroaching developments in 1907;.
Memorial to the first V2 which landed here on 8 September 1944 killing three people.  This was unveiled in 2004 and organised jointly by the Brentford & Chiswick Local History Society and the Battlefields Trust. It is sited near where it landed near the junction with Burlington Lane.

Sutton Court Road
This preserves the name of  the old manor of Sutton Court – the house demolished in 1896.
Grove Park Studios. This is a small office complex in what was a garage and the Crusader hall

Sources
Arthure.. Life and Work in Old Chiswick
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Chiswick House trail, 
Chiswick House and Gardens. Web site
Chiswick Remembers. Web site
Chiswick School. Web site
Chiswick W4. Web site
Clegg. The Chiswick Book
English Heritage. Chiswick House
Field , London Place Names, 
Grove Park Primary School. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Parks and Gardens UK. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry.  North West London
SABRE. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford . Village London
Wheatley and Meulenkamp. Follies 

Tuesday, 5 December 2017

Chipstead



Post to the east skirting Cane Hill


Court Hill
Gated road!

Great Soloms Wood

Holly Lane
Car Park. This serves the Banstead Woods Nature Reserve and an interpretation centre is included at the start of nature trails. There is also a Narnia trail here with a wardrobe to walk though.

Outwood Lane.
Chipstead Valley Bourne. A bourne is an inrermittent stream, this one flowed down the lane and continued past the Woodmansterne water treatment works, though the wells there are not directly related.
Sutton and East Surrey Water Works Pump House., Pumping Station with a neo-Georgian Pumphouse built in 1907 for two gas engines by Sutton District Water Co. It is now being considerably upgraded – this is a large site with a much equipment for the extraction and treatment of fresh water
Library – this stood on the corner with Court Hill but was demolished in 1996.

Solom’s Court  Road
Another gated road
Soloms Court House built in 1906 by Guy Dawber in free Tudor style. It is now divided into two.

Stagbury Avenue
The Bourne, This used to flow under the old Stagbury House in Outwood Lane, family seat of the Walpole family. It was said that there was a trapdoor in the cellar beneath which the Bourne could be seen. The house was pulled down in 1968 and town houses with the same name were built.

Station Approach
Chipstead Station. This station was opened as Chipstead and Banstead Downs in 1897 when the line opened between Purley and  Kingswood.  It was built in a domestic revival style with three dormer windows. It lies now between Kingswood and Woodmansterne Stations on Southern Rail. The station buildings are no longer used having been sold off for housing in the mid-late 1990s,
Goods yard cut out of the valley slope at the London end. This is now a car park/
Chipstead Bourne. This used to flood the cellars of the shops in Station Parade but additional culverts have dealt with this

Water Mead
New housing built on an area once part of the water works

Sources
Chipstead Village. Web site
Reigate and Banstead Council. Web site
Surrey Industrial History
Pevsner. Surrey
Surrey and Sutton Water Company.Web site

Chessington North and Hook


Post to the west Hook
Post to the south Chessington
Post to the north Tolworth


Bridge Road
Chessington North Station.. This was opened in  1939 and lies between Chessington South and Tolworth on South Western Trains.  It is on the last line built by the Southern Railway.  It was first called ‘Chessington Court’ but the name changed two years later.  It is designed in’cinema’ style by  James Robb Scott and like other stations on this line used concrete extensively. , On the platform is 200 ft long Chisarc cantilevered concrete canopy with porthole glass and a mix of coloured fluorescent lighting tubes.  From the start at street level there was a car park, toilets, parcels office and lock up shops and a separate parcels ramp. Signs were erected on the  platforms saying  'Next Station For The Zoo' - later amended to 'World of Adventures' - to make sure people got off at the right station.
Railway bridge.  Concrete bridge built in the late 1930s continuous in design with the station.
74-76 Toad Hall Nursery. Children’s nursery in what was Chessington Evangelical Church dating from the 1960s

Buckland Road
Gosbury Hill County Primary, Junior, Mixed and Infants' School. This school was opened in 1949 in Buckland Road and closed in 1965. This site was north of the infant school
Buckland Infant and Nursery School.  This had a large nursery and two specialist units for children with speech and language difficulties from across the borough.  It appears to have been known as Moor Lane Infants School in the early 1950s.
Guide Hut. Scouts met in the buildings of Buckland School from the 1950s. The Guide hut appears to have been demolished as part of rebuilding for Castle Hill School and its site is now a parking area.
Castle Hill Primary School. In 2007 it was decided to merge Buckland School and Moor Lane Junior School here. The amalgamated school, called Castle Hill Primary School, is now set up as an ‘academy’.
Chessington Children’s Centre. This is included in the school buildings
Open Space – east of the school is an open space including an old hedge with oak trees.

Church Lane
Chessington Methodist Church. This dates from 1948 and is a large church with what appear to be several halls and ancillary buildings.

Cox Lane
43 Alliance Healthcare. This is their head office. The company distributes pharmaceuticals to retail and other users. They date from the 1930s in London and were originally a co-op.
Maverick Pub. This is now a shop. It was originally called Port of Call and was a Greene King house. Later it was the Pickled Newt It closed in 2010.
59 Yodel. Delivery service
BT Fleet – this seems to be on the site of what was a large Post Office store
Railway bridge.  Concrete bridge dating from the late 1930s
Chessington Business Centre

Hook Road

Hook Parade. Library and community buildings replaced by Hook Centre.
Hook Centre. This is a purpose built centre including a library, a cafe, community learning spaces, etc etc  It was opened in 2006.
St Paul’s.  Before 1838, Kingston clergymen came to Hook and took services in a barn – which was burnt down. Land for a church and its burial ground was donated by Mrs Langley and it was built by 1840.glass, paid for by ex-vicar. Monuments to Hare family. Font with 70 bits of wood.  The current parish hall was built alongside the old church, Bricks from the old church were used for the walls of the churchyard.  The lych gate is the entry to the church and alongside it the grave of aviator Harry Hawker. he was born in Australia in 1889 and tried to fly the Atlantic from Newfoundland in 1919, and was killed in an air crash at Hendon in 1921.
A walled garden around the west end is a memorial to those who lost their lives in the Second World War. St Paul’s Church of England Primary School. This appears originally to have been a National School.
271 North Star, Ember Inns House. It may date from the 1880s.
207 Southernhay home of Enid Blyton.

Moor Lane
116 Chessington Oak. Large roadhouse style Mitchell and Butlers Pub dating from 1939, This was the Blackamoor’s Head until 2006 and before that the Blackamore Arms
Chessington County School. Opened in 1936 this was Moor Lane Secondary Mixed School opened in 1936. This was the only secondary school in the Chessington area until 1953 when new building in the area meant that new schools had to be provided. A new school was built for boys and this became a secondary girls’ school. By the late 1960s it was a primary school.
Moor Lane Junior School. This school has now merged with Buckland School on their site and is called Castle Hill. The Moor Lane school site now houses children and family support services and educates disabled children.  There is a swimming pool and sports grounds

Mount Road
105a Four Oaks Centre. This is a hostel for the homeless, previously a Kingston Council Children’s Home
Mount House. W.K.Thomas. Catering disposables works. This is a private company dating from 1930. It is now part of the Bunzl Group.
Bunyan Meyer, Engineering company present here in the 1970s.

Oakcroft Road
The area to the north of the road, which includes the ex-Plessey site, is in the square to the north.
Prochem. International company making cleaning materials. Founded in the 1980s
Oak Point.  Harro Foods. This company deals in frozen Japanese food.  The building was previously Spicers. And pre 1960 an Electrical engineering works
Merlin House. National Rescue Service.  This is a family business removing vehicles on behalf of AA, RAC etc.
Oakcroft Works. Classic Images. This is a joinery business established in 1983.
Typhoon Business Centre
Avery Hardoll, Manufacturers of Pumps and Meters. Factory here in the 1960s
Miner’s Liquid Make up. Present here in 1950, they are now based in Hampshire.
Crystal Products Factory. Opened a perfumery factory here in 1945
Telegraph Condensor Co.
British Insulated  Callenders Cables. 1960s. Based in Erith and elsewhere.

Rhodrons Avenue
The Rhodrons Club. Private club founded 1917.

The Causeway
The Bull Whips. This was previously called Causeway Copse. This is said to be the southern part of Surbiton Common, called Gooseberry Hill, prior to which it had been known as Gosborough Hyll or Gosbury Hill

Sources
Chessington Community College. Web site
Chessington Community Matters. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Hidden London. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Ian Visits. Web site
London Railway Record.
Kingston on Thames. Web site
St. Paul’s. Web site
TripAdvisor. Web site
W.K.Thomas. Web site.
Wooton Bridge Historical. Web site

Sunday, 3 December 2017

Chelsfield


Abingdon Way
Houses on the site of Orpington Secondary Modern School. Some trees in the area were planted at the opening of the school

Charterhouse Road
Orpington Secondary Modern for Boys. Later it was Charterhouse Secondary School. It dated from 1936 and was Orpington’s first secondary school.  It was demolished in 1987 and replaced with Abingdon Way and its tributary streets.
Charterhouse playground. Park and children;s play area
Christ Church. The church dates from 1939 designed by W. A. Pite Son & Fairweather. On the front wall a mosaic of the Tree of Life was installed for the 75th anniversary of its foundation.

Crown Close
Coal tax post. This is south west and alongside of the railway by the rear fence of No15, this is not easily viewable.

Edgewood Drive
Foxbury Wood and Glentrammon Recreation Ground, This area, pre development, was in Chelsfield Parish as Upper Beeches and Lower Beeches or Upper Ash Field and Lower Ash Field. The land belonged to Glentrammon Park Estates and then to a Mr. Gill, Seven years after he died the land is designated as a ‘recreation ground’.

Station Approach
Chelsfield Station. Opened in 1868 this lies between Knockholt and Orpington Stations on on South Eastern Trains. It was built on what was the South Eastern new main line between Chiselhurst and Tonbridge; it was then almost a mile from the actual village. The current station building dates from the 1970s when its timber predecessor was burnt down.

Warren Road
Skew Bridge over the railway. This is in brick
153a Coal tax post in the front garden

Windsor drive
1 The Chelsfield pub. This was previously called the Heavy Horse. Large estate style pub
27a Methodist Church. The church originated in a "Tin Tabernacle" in Orpington..In 1933 what is now the church hall was built here and the church itself built in 1952.
Chelsfield Centre. Community centre

Sources
Chelsea Speleological Society. Newsletter
Christ Church. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Friebds of Foxbury Wood and Glentrammon Recreation Ground
London Borough of Bromley.Web site
Orpington history. Web site
RIBA. Web site
The Chelsfield. Web site

Saturday, 2 December 2017

Cheam



Post to the west Nonsuch

The London/Surrey/Sutton boundary goes round the edge of the playing field and to the end of Peaches Close. It then turns north west up the east side of another playing field

Anne Boleyn’s Walk
St.Dunstan’s Church of England Primary School. In 1826 the parish church it founded a school in Malden Road for local children. In 1863 an infants' school was also opened in a cottage on the present Nonsuch High School site. In 1869 the infants moved to the Parochial Rooms.  They were joined by the girls and the school was called the Cheam and Cuddington Girls’ and Infants’ School while the Malden Road School was Cheam Junior Boys' School. In 1907 the girls and infants moved to a new building in Jubilee Road and were joined by boys under eleven. It was called St Dunstan's School from the 1950s. In 1989 it amalgamated with Cheam Junior Boys in and construction of a new building began in was 1991 and occupied in 1993.
Dairy Crest Depot. This has now been developed for housing. This had been the dairy business of Cheam Court Farm bought by United Dairies in 1929 . Dairy Mansions are now on the site.

Belmont Rise
This is part of the A217 and is said to have problems with illegal racing. The road funs from Fulham to near Gatwick Airport.
Hales Bridge. This bridge crosses the railway and is named for Mr. Hales, farmer at Church Farm. It is in reinforced concrete and similar to a steel plate bridge with main beams and cross beams and was built as part of the bypass. The original bridge was in brick.

Broadway
The road was developed in the 1920s and 30s, widened and old buildings demolished for replacement by suburban mock Tudor.
Plough Inn site. This is now a grassed areas at the south-east corner of the cross-roads. The pub was owned by the Cheam Brewery and closed in 1935.
Cheam Brewery. This Brewery, established in the 18th, stood opposite the Plough Inn on the north-west corner of the cross road with Park Lane. It had been owned by John Noakes and was taken over by Edward Boniface in 1876. It was taken over in 1895 by Thunder and Little who also took over the Mitcham Brewery. The name was changed to Mitcham & Cheam Brewery Co Ltd. This was taken over by Page & Overton’s Brewery Ltd, Croydon in 1917. The Cheam Brewery was then closed and was demolished in 1921.
17 Old Cottage a timber-framed house  built around 1500 moved here in 1922 from a site needed for road widening. It is probably the surviving wing of a larger structure and it was thought that it may once have been a house in Cuddington, demolished by Henry VIII,  and could have been the cross-wing of a 'hall house'.  In Cheam it was once part of the Cheam Brewery. The original infill of wattle and rye dough has now been replaced with concrete, and the building raised on a brick plinth.
Cheam House. Built for John Pybus in 1766 and demolished in 1922. The site is now covered by Park Side.
27 Building recently used by HSBC Bank. On the Parkside elevation is an oriel window with a decorative shield and inscription.
42 The Parochial Rooms. These were built to a design by Thomas Graham Jackson on land given by Spencer Wilde of Cheam House. Over the door, with the date 1869, is “Serve God and be Cheerful”, the motto of the John Hacket, Rector here 1624-62. The building was first used an infants school which was part of the local church school.
43-57 Broadway Cottages.  17th weather boarded cottages now altered and used as shops

Burdon Lane
Part of an old drove road

Church Farm Lane
Cottages with date mark of 1881
Boundary Wall . Section of brick wall with battered coping; probably 17th and set on a curve. It includes chalk blocks
The Old Stables. Outbuilding of West Cheam Manor House. This is possibly a stable block. Now in use as offices it was previously the Corporation Yard.

Church Road.
Library. Designed by P. Masters & A. Pereira and built in 1962 when it got a Civic Trust award for the design. It is on the site of West Cheam Manor House.
Library Car Park. This large parking area appears to once have been the site of the local authority depot.
Lychgate. The Gothic lychgate to the church dates from 1891. It is bargeboarded with three archways
St.Dunstan’s Church. This is the parish church built in 1864 and designed by F. E. Pownall replacing and north of an 18th building with Saxon or Norman church origins. The spire was added in 1870.  It contains windows of 1872 by Clayton and Bell and scenes from the life of St. Dunstan.
Lumley Chapel. Standing in the churchyard is the chancel of the medieval parish church, built of flint and possibly 12th.  It is named for John, Lord Lumley, once owner of Nonsuch Palace, and his alabaster tomb may show interiors of the palace.
War Memorial, This is in front of the library. It was designed by the architect and local historian, Charles Marshall. It has a three-stepped base rising to a Celtic cross. There is an inscription which says “Our glorious dead, Their names shall endure for evermore. To the Glory of God and in memory of the men who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918 and those men and women of Cheam who gave their lives in defence of freedom in the World War 1939 – 1945. It also records one death in the Falklands War.  Stone seats alongside the memorial were removed because of graffiti
The Old Farmhouse. This is a 15th house which had been used as separate dwellings called Church Cottages. In 1973 it was returned to single use and timber marks investigated.  A chimney is now thought to have been added in 1550 and there were also 17th additions. It is also thought to have been called Home Farm. The name ‘Old Farmhouse’ dates to the 1970s. Brick cellars have since been discovered, one of which has a 16th brick hearth.

Dallas Road
St.Christopher's Chapel. This Roman Catholic church was built in 1937 for Cheam School and included an earlier chapel built in 1867-8 for the school by Slater & Carpenter. It now functions as a parish church.
Cheam School. Site of Cheam School. This stood between here and Belmont Rise. It was a private school here 1719- 1935 and was founded by Revd. George Aldrich. The school moved to Berkshire and Tabor Court is now on site.
Tabor Gardens. These flats were named after Robert and Arthur Tabor, father and son, successively Headmasters of Cheam School 1856 - 1920, the belfry was once part of the school buildings.

High Street
Road widening in the 1930s changed the nature of the village. Some old buildings were demolished and one moved.
1-2 Old Farm House.  Used to be called Church Cottages.  A timber-framed house with rendered front and old tiled roof. The front part around a central chimneystack is probably of 1600.
109 Harrow Inn. This dates from 1935, replacing a predecessor which was allegedly 16th and had a brewery at the back

Love Lane
This is an old path part of a route between Sutton and Cheam

Malden Road
The section of the road north of the hilltop was once called Pond Hill – hence the side turning, Pond Hill Gardens,
1 Whitehall. This is a timber-framed house built using local oak and elm, dating from around  1500  It is now in use as a museum., It is thought to have originated as a wattle and daub yeoman hall house with weather boarding added in the 18th.  It is a two-storey continuous jetty building with a deep overhang at the front and back.  There are two brick chimneystacks with two recesses and to the rear is a 17th wing when the house is believed to have been used by Cheam School. A marble 18th fireplace in a downstairs room original came from West Cheam Manor. It is thought it was the home of James Boevey from 1670 to his death and later the Killick family, until 1963, when it was purchased by the borough. It was renovated by John West & Partners in 1975-6.  A modern sundial from the Friends of Whitehall is on the 16th staircase tower. As a museum the house contains exhibits from the past four centuries. There is also the Roy Smith art gallery - once the scullery. There is also a display about nearby Nonsuch Palace.
Medieval well in the garden of Whitehall which may have been used by predecessor buildings.
3 Nonsuch Cottage. This is a 17th house with a partly 18th frontage and weatherboarding.
5 timber house which included an underground room used to store food for Whitehall
White Lodge. This was on the corner with Park Road. It dated from 1740 and demolished in 1964. Behind it was a complex of brick-lined 17th vaults.
The Baptist Church. This is on the corner with Park Road. Charles Spurgeon, came to Cheam in 1857 or 1858. Rrepresentatives from the Metropolitan Tabernacle came to preach on the village green and in 1862 Cheam Baptist Church was constituted in a cottage in Malden Road . in 1871, they bought a site in Malden Road and built a chapel. In 1905 they replaced this with a church 100 yards nearer the centre of the village position at the junction with Park Road . Thomas Wall sausage and ice-cream maker, who lived locally, laid the foundation stone.  Halls were added in 1923 which are currently used by the Pre-School. More halls were built in 1971 . An adjacent printing works was purchased in 1997 and converted into a coffee shop.
West Cheam Manor House. This stood here between what are now Church and Park Roads and was demolished in 1796. Cheam School, also originally called Manor House School may have been in this building before 1719. It is now the site of Cheam Library
15 The Rectory. This is 16th building redone in the 18th used as the Rectory until the 1990s. It has a timber frame partly covered in mathematical tiles. The south-west corner is timber-framed with a covering of mathematical or simulated brick tiles.  Five 16th and 17th Cheam rectors became bishops. Since 1638 rectors have been appointed  by St. John’s College, Oxford.
Apple Store. This was in the grounds of the Rectory.  It was used later as the Rover Scout Den but hot summers dried it out and in the summer of 2006 it collapsed.
18 This was the original Cheam Baptist Church which had been set up a cottage in Malden Road . In 1871 they bought a site opposite the cottage for £100 and built this chapel . It has been used as an  auction room and is now a private house.
Fire Brigade Stables. This appears to have stood where Mickleham Road now joins Malden Road. The pound had once been here and by the 1930s a mortuary
23 1st Cheam Scouts Hall. In 1928 four boys met here when it was the St. Dunstan’s Institute. As a result a scout troop was set up. This has continued today and then became   the permanent home and Headquarters of the 1st Cheam. It is a green ‘tin tabernacle’ building.
St. Dunstan’s Institute. This was once the Cheam Working Men’s Club
28 Prince of Wales pub. The association of Prince Charles with Cheam School is co-incidental.

Mickleham Gardens
Retirement homes built in the 1960s have been rebuilt
British Legion Memorial Hall
Girl Guides Hall

Park Lane
Once called Pudding Lane This is an old path which is part of a route between Sutton and Cheam
1-3 Giddings Design
Park Lane Cottages. These were once part of the Cheam House estate. The brick cottages on the south side are mostly late 18th while the timber cottages date from the 16th and 18th.
Two carpenters’ workshops built in the 17th and 18th.
Elizabeth House. This was built as sheltered accommodation in thr 1970s and clad with white plastic weather-boarding to match the nearby weatherboarded buildings. It was demolished in 2015 and rebuilt using timber,
Lodge. Single storey lodge to the park dating from around 1820.

Park Road
Once called Red Lion Street This is an old path part of a route between Sutton and Cheam
17 Red Lion, Pub built around 1600 and much altered. weather-boarding at the front was removed in the 20th. Original well near the door.
Site of Stafford House. This was a boys’ school in the early 19th
38 site of Cheam Cottage. This was a 17th building used in the 18th as the home of the Headmaster of  Cheam School

Park Side
This is on the site of the Cheam House estate built after its demolition in 1922, The houses date from 1923.
5 Site of Cheam Kiln 1. in 1923, a medieval kiln and a large number of pottery fragments were found behind here. These are exhibited in Whitehall along with fragments from the garden there and from Cheam Kiln 2.

Peach’s Close
This appears to be a modern road running along the edge of the sports ground. It does however date from at least the 1820s when there is a report of beans grown there. It was named after Henry Peach, rector of Cheam 1760.
Cheam Cricket Club. This dates from 1864 and largely consisted of local traders. Originally they played in Cheam Park. In 1921  land in Peach’s Close was purchased.  52 poplar trees were donated and planted alongside the railway – 35 still survive. There is now a sight sceen along the railway extended in 1987. Originally a Nissen Hut was the bar and canteen and a New Pavilion was built in 193 wjich remains with some additions. The ground was bombed in 1940 and 1944 and trenches were dug to prevent the landing of enemy aircraft
Cheam Sports Club. This is a private sports club founded in 1920. It has many other sports clubs associated with it and which use its facilities. It has a social club and bar facilities on site.

Quarry Park Road
The east/west section of this road, to the north, was part of Love Lane, cut off by the A217.  There were a number of quarries in this area – presumably extacting chalk
The Quarry – this is shown as a house with a plant nursery attached.

Quarry Rise
Quarry Park, This was laid out as a public park after the death in 1932 of Mrs Seears. Several mature trees survive from this date. The site was part of Chalk Pit Field and a quarry is shown here, around which the park was laid out

Sandy Lane
Coldblow. This house is on the corner with Peaches Close . It was built in 1889 for Edward Boniface the local brewer and uis now flats.

Springclose Lane
Church Farm House. This is partly a 17th timber framed building with an early 19th stucco front. It was the home of Mr Hales the last farmer here.
Extension for nurses' home by Thompson & Gardner, 1970s

St Dunstan's Hill
Part of the A217
Seear's Park – the Love Lane footpath runs along the edge of the park. The land was owned by the late John Seear. He left it to his wife who bequeathed to the local people of Sutton - as the Charity of John Seears for Open Space and Recreation Ground. Sutton Council is the sole trustee of this charity. The park lies near areas of scrub and grassland so the wood merges into hawthorn and elder scrub with some regenerating elm. There are some mature ornamental trees from the 19th including a monkey puzzle, redwoods and firs plus some broken statuary. A drinking fountain of 1932 is a memorial to the Seears.
Quarry Cottage. This is in the park grounds and was the Park Keeper's cottage.

Stafford Close
Named for Stafford House which stood nearby

Station Approach
Cheam Station. Opened in 1847 it lies between Sutton and Ewell East Stations on Southern Rail, In 1844 Cheam was on the planned route for the London to Portsmouth atmospheric railway as part of the London & Croydon Railway  When this failed Cheam station became part of the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. The station expanded, and was rebuilt but the Great War prevented plans going ahead. The through lines remained in place until 1978 and a wide space between the tracks still remains and shows where the fast lines were laid.

Station Way
The Old Forge. A smithy was established here from 1860 by Moses Barnes and closed in 1926. It was earlier in a pit which was behind the Railway Inn, plus with ten cottages in use 1936.
Railway Inn
Cheam Court Farm. This was in the corner with Ewell Road. It had a 16th farmhouse which was demolished in 1929 for the access road to the station. The farm’s dairy business was bought by United Dairies in 1929 who ran a depot here.
Barn, St. Alban’s Church in Sutton was built of materials from the farm and its barns.
Century House. Offices  on the site of the Century Cinema.  Which opened in 1937,; It was  with actor Tom Walls appearing in designed by Granada Theatres architect James Morrison. It had a plain brick exterior, with three windows surrounded in white stone and a vertical fin sign with the name ‘Century’.  It played mainly second run and foreign films. It was bombed in March and closed for several months. It was bombed again and re-opened in 1945.. Later the frontage was demolished and the auditorium became a car showroom. It has since been completely demolished.

Tudor Close
Cheam Park The majority of the park is in the square to the west.
Site of Cheam Park House. It was built in 1820 for Archdale Palmer, a London tea merchant and was sited left of the drive, where it turn to the stable yard. The House and Park had been were acquired by the Borough on the death of Mrs. Bethell, in 1936, and was first known as Bethell Park. In the Secind World war it was used as a factory to assemble Gas Masks and also used as a first aid station and a wardens post. It was demolished in 1945 after an attack by a flying bomb.

Upper Mulgrave Road
38 Old Westminster House. Converted bank in use by a ceiling manufacturer

Sources
Cheam Cricket Club. Web site
Cheam Sports Club. Web site
Cheam Tourist Information. Web site
Cheam Village
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Friends of Whitehall. Web site
Heritage Walk
Historic England. Web site
Imperial War Museum. Web site
London Borough of Sutton. Web site
London Encyclopedia
London Gardens Online. Web site
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Penguin. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry.  South London
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Sabre. Web site
St.Christopher’s. Web site
St. Dunstan’s. Web site
St Dunstan’s School. Web site
The Kingston Zodiac 

Friday, 1 December 2017

Camden Railway Goods Yard

Post to the south
Post to the south north east quarter square Camden Town

Post to the east 
South West Quarter square Camden Road
South East quarter Square Camden Town

Post to the north Gospel Oak, Gospel Oak and Kentish Town


This posting covers only the southwest quarter of the square
The south east corner is Camden Market
The north west corner is Kentish Town West


Adelaide Road
1 The Adelaide. This dated from 1842 and named for Queen Adelaide. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1985 and is now flats.  The area in front of the pub was once in use as a bus terminus.
Chalk Farm Underground Station.  This opened in 1907 and lies between Belsize Park and Camden Town Stations on the Northern Line.  It was originally on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway which was taken over by Yerkes. It is the shallowest station on the Northern Line at 42' below ground and thus has the shortest lift shaft on the underground. It was designed by Leslie Green with rows of arches and ox-blood glazed tiles. The majority of the original station features are intact including tiling, etc.  The two sides of the station converge at an acute angle – with it has 14 arched windows many since infilled as shop units.  The wording on the station frieze was removed in the early 1950s. The original ticket hall survives with dark green tiling – wooden dado etc is a lighter green and the staircase railings are contemporary.  There is an original clock by the Self Winding Clock Co. of New York which cost £5 but has since been converted to electricity.  It was originally planned to be called Adelaide Road.   It was refurbished in 2005.

Belmont Street
Chappell's Piano Factory. Chappell's was founded in 1811 by Samuel Chappell as a retail only business. They produced their own pianos from the early 1840s, initially in Soho, and then Chalk Farm In the mid-1860s.   Built on ‘the scale of a textile mill’ it had five storeys. In the 1880s it was producing 16 pianos a week. In the Great War the building became a munitions factory, and in the Second World War it became an Air Ministry 'shadow factory', producing canopies and propellers for Supermarine Spitfires. Later Chappels struggled to compete with pianos from the Far East. In 1970 they were taken over by the Dutch firm Phillips Electrical, who closed the factory.  It is now posh flats.
Charlie Ratchford Resource Centre. Purpose-built Camden Council resource centre for Camden residents aged 60+

Camden Town Goods Depot
Goods yard at Chalk Farm, built for the London and Birmingham Railway, and its successor the London and North Western Railway Company, in operation from 1837. Chief engineer was Robert Stephenson although much designing was done by Robert Dockray. This square covers all except the south east corner.  The goods depot was built around the main line railway out of Euston in 1839 on 30 acres of Lord Southampton’s land as the terminus for goods trains, intending an extension of the railway to London’s docks.
The London & Birmingham Railway. It was London’s first main line railway with Robert Stephenson as engineer. It had been planned to reach the docks and a terminus from Birmingham was planned in Camden Town by the canal. However it was then decided extend the railway to Euston Grove. This meant that the canal had to be crossed, as well as many roads, on a gradient too steep for the available locomotives. The level of the land north of the canal was raised with spoil from the Primrose Hill tunnel and cuttings. Thus the first trains were cable hauled up the slope from Euston on what was known as Camden Bank. The first sod for the London and Birmingham Railway was cut at Chalk Farm on 1 June 1834. The Camden Incline was the trial site for Cooke and Wheatstone’s electric telegraph for railway signalling, only one month after it had been patented.
The Stationary steam engine.  When Euston Station was opened the engines were rope hauled up the slope to Camden. Two winding engines by Maudslay were installed underground in barrel vaulted chambers under the main line just north of Regent’s Canal Bridge, There were two chimneys above .the engines and machinery, dramatically sited and a tourist attraction.. The rope was 3,744 yards long and kept taut around a pulley. From Camden the trains were hauled by steam locomotives.  This system was abandoned in 1844 and the steam engines were exported to a flax mill in Russia.  The vaults themselves survive in good condition despite a level of flooding.
Camden Station. The terminus for the London and Birmingham railway was originally supposed to be at a station north of the canal but before the line was built an extension to Euston was agreed. The line opened in 1838 but the access road from the station to the Hampstead Road was considered unsuitable but the station was used for ticket inspections, etc. It was eventually closed.
Camden Goods Depot. This was established initially alongside the Regent’s Canal and the Hampstead Road. It was first exploited by Pickfords from 1841, soon to be followed by LNWR goods facilities. It was also necessary to provide stabling for the many horses that worked in the depot. In 1851 the rail freight connection to London docks was made. From 1839 freight was hauled between London and Birmingham for Pickford & Co. and two other carriers. The layout was undertaken by Joseph Baxendale, of Pickfords.  In 1839 the yard included: the stationary engine house, a locomotive engine house for 15 engines, a goods shed and a wagon repair shop. (The site of the coke ovens is in the square to the east. stables in the square to the south). The yard was extended with new buildings in 1847 including the roundhouse and cattle pens alongside (many other buildings in the square to the east). It was again reordered in 1856 and changes continued into the 20th. Below the yard was a labyrinth of brick vaults, which allowed direct goods interchange with road and canal. (Much of them lying in the square to the east). After the opening of a shed at Willesden in 1873, the locomotive shed at Camden Depot was used by large express passenger locomotives. Steam was replaced by diesel, but the diesels did not stay long and the. The goods depot closed around 1980
East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway. This was connected to the goods yard from 1851. It became the North London Railway in 1853 and was realigned in 1854.
Pickfords. In 1841 they built a warehouse on the south side of the canal at the end of what is now Oval Road for interchange of goods between canal, rail and road. It was purchased by LNWR in 1846. In the 1880s it was taken over by Gilbeys.
Camden Motive Power Depot. This was originally the passenger engine house which dated from 1847 and stood parallel and west of the main line and east of Gloucester Road. It was a rectangular building with stores, offices, workshops and an artesian well. It survived until 1966.  Today it is a site for carriage sidings
Main goods shed.  In 1864 the LNWR built a goods shed to replace several smaller scattered goods facilities. This had a plan area of 100,000 square feet and was the largest at that time in the country. It was further enlarged in 1931
Hydraulic Pumping Station. A hydraulic accumulator tower remains between the main line and Gloucester Avenue on the north side of the canal. It was built in 1866 to supply Camden Goods Depot’s hydraulic systems which were installed from 1853. It is the oldest surviving LNWR accumulator tower. Other buildings now demolished, housed turbine pumps by Mather & Platt, installed in 1923.  The railway has been widened and the lower part of the comer was removed to allow for this.

Chalcot Square,
Laid out in 1850s and then called St.George's Square. Renamed 'Chalcot' in 1937 by London County Council
Chalcot Gardens. This is a small central garden with some acacias, which were fashionable trees in the 1850s. The central garden was owned and maintained by the Trustees of the Broder Estate for the benefit of tenants of the square. It is now publicly accessible. Little changed since the original layout, the square today has children's play equipment in one corner.
36 Turner House.  From before the Great War until 1950 this was a hostel for blind women in the care of the Church Army.

Chalk Farm Road
This square covers the between Adelaide Road and Ferdinand Street. Pancras Vale was the original name of the road
Brick wall. the west side of the road is almost entirely brick wall behind which he railway sites were developed, behind the wall the railway is higher than the road because of dumped spoil and ash and this provided space for coal sidings and coal drops. Below them were vaults and tunnels.
Roundhouse.  This goods engine house is a circular building with 24 rail tracks, each sufficient for an engine and tender, radiating from a central turntable. It was built to house goods locomotives and was designed by Robert Stephenson in 1847. It was built for the London and North Western Railway by R. B. Dockray. In 1869 the engines had become too large and it was used as a wine store by Messrs Gilbey, who added a wooden gallery. In 1965 it became was Arnold Wesker's Centre 42 for an arts centre undertaken by Bickerdike, Allen, Rich & Partners. A studio theatre was added in 1975 but thru project collapsed in 1983, and it was taken over by Camden Council. In 1997, it became an Arts Centre for the Norman Trust by John MacAslan.  It remains an arts centre working closely with young people.
49 Camden Assembly. This is a music venue once a pub called Monarch. In 2000 it was called Barfly. There is a new and different Monarch pub in the road to the south
61Marine Ices. This business dates from 1931 and moved here  2014 to the current site, once called Old Dairy Mews  The business was in Haverstock Hill and belonged to the Mansi famly. In 2012  the ice cream business in the ship styled building  was sold to the Myatts and Ponti’s restaurant group took it over. The ice cream is now made in a factory in Suffolk and the Chalk Farm shop is only a gelateria.
63-63a Majestic Wine Warehouse. In the 1860s this was Bacon’s :Library and latyer Bacons Wilfrid Works and specialist printers. It has been home to a number of works since – including in the 1970s an Australian van sales business.  There is a painted wall advertisement for Bacon’s on the adjacent shop wall.
65 Allison Pianos. There were a number oif addresses for this company which appears to have begun in the 1840s and owners who may or nay not hae been connected. It was eventually taken over by Chappel.
78-79 Joe’s. This was the Belmont Inn and also once known as The Engine Room, Bartok, and since around 2011, Joe's.
Horse trough by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association. Appears to be  dedicated to Charles Kingsley

Dumpton Place
Before 1872 this was Fitzroy Place and there are recent moves to rename it Jasmin Mews.  It provided access to the railway works via a wooden footbridge and steps which are still present
Pickford's. The carriers had a depot there 1880s and into the 1900s:
Macfisheries. Kipper smoking works was there in the 1950s

Ferdinand Street
10 Crowndale Pub. This closed in 2006 and is now flats.
27 North Western Pub. Demolished.
Mural of Carmen Miranda
Kent House. Modern movement flats built 1935 by H Connell, Ward & Lucas, This was commissioned by a group led by Lady Stewart, in the Northern Group of St Pancras Home Improvement Society.  Gates and lamps 1980-2 by Jeffrey Fairweather.

Gilbeys Yard
Gilbey's Yard. Housing development, on the site of the Goods Shed, is named for Gilbey’s wine merchants who had many buildings and storage areas throughout the goods complex and in surrounding roads. The housing here dates from 1997. This was an area at the southern end of the site, high above the canal. A turntable and railway lines are preserved here as well as granite cobbles and two weigh-bridges. This area was used by the railway as an ash dump where locomotive boxes were raked out.  Eventually the layers of ash was rolled the ash and railway lines above it. Then the Goods Shed was built here.

Gloucester Avenue
44 The Courtyard. This was the Electric Telegraph Company, Postal Telegraph Stores of 1871.
90 The Lansdowne.  Originally the Lansdowne Arms this is now a restaurant. It is an old Charrington house and still carries some Charrington signage among buff tiling.  At one time the pub opened early in the morning for railway workers coming from the early shift and in the 1960s there was strip-tease at mid-day. The pub suffered a fire in 1985 following which it was reordered and internal wooden fittings removed.
110 Primrose Hill Business Centre. Office development on what was the site of an Engineering Works.  It is also said to be in a dairy building of 1895. Which has been a business centre since 1972. The current offices have included publishing companies.
150 Pembroke Castle. Pub dating from the 1850s and now a restaurant, etc etc etc

Haverstock Hill
2 The Enterprise. Pub dating from the 1850s.
8 Marine Ices. This business was here from 1931 in a building resembling an ocean liner commissioned by the Manzi family in 1947. Gaetano Mansi came here from Italy in the 1900s and had a grocery business in Drummond Street, Euston, He made sorbets and opened Mansi’s Cafe here in 1931.  The business is now further down Chalk Farm Road and in different hands. The building is now in other use and the site is being redeveloped
10-16 Salvation Army. Home of the Chalk Farm corps.

Juniper Crescent
This is a new road built as access into the railway goods yard and from without interrupting the train service. A stretch of wall in Chalk Farm Road was demolished for access and a new bridge and tunnel crossed the railway into the site. Originally Safeways (supermarket) and the Community Housing Association agreed to develop the site together and in 1994 for a a scheme designed by Pollard Thomas & Edwards was agreed and then transferred to Willmott Dixon.
Car park.  A large car park was built to the south of the development for Safeways.  It is on what was originally called Clay Field but the site had been a coal yard since 1855-6 and ash and clinker had been dumped. The car park is thus on a raised areas. Two railway turntables were unearthed during construction.
Morrisons; This was originally a Safeway store. Safeways were taken over by Morrisons in 2006.

Regent's Park Road
Bridge. This is overrail truss bridge which is now pedestrian only
Drinking fountain on the wall at the junction with Haverstock Hill.
Murals.. A steam train, trapeze artists and musicians by Brazilian artist Kobra to tell the history of the Roundhouse.
Hampstead Road  Station. This was opened in 1851 on what was then the East and West India Docks and Birmingham Junction Railway. The site was east of what became Primrose Hill Station. It closed in 1855 and another station with the same name opened to the west of the junction with the LNWR. It was renamed Chalk Farm in 1852 and began a relationship with the LNWR Chalk Farm Station. When that closed in 1915 this station remained on the line between Broad Street and Willesden. It was closed between 1917 and 1922. It was renamed Primrose Hill in 1950
Camden Chalk Farm Station. This had begun as a ticket platform opened in 1851 London and North West Railway named ‘Camden’.It was replaced in 1852 to the north west but there was no connection to Hampstead Road station. In 1866 it was re-named Camden (Chalk Farm) and moved adjacent to Hampstead Road and in 1876 re-named ‘Chalk Farm’. By this time it was sharing an entrance with Hampstead Road and there was a footbridge between the two. In 1915 this LNWR station was closed
Primrose Hill Station. This was a renaming in 1950 of a station with a varied history of being called Hampstead Road and a variety of Chalk Farms.From 1986 the Broad Street service went to Liverpool Street with less and less trains and closure in 1992.  The buildings became offices and shops. There have been various campaigns to get it reopened but the buildings were demolished in 2008.

Sources
Aldous, London Villages
Allinson and Thornton. London’s contemporary architecture
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Camden History Review
Camden History Society, Primrose Hill to Euston Road. 
Camden Railway Heritage Trust. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London 
Colloms and Weindling. Canden Town and Kentish Town Then and Now
Connor.  Forgotten stations, 
Day. London Underground
Essex Lopresti.  Regents Canal
Field. London Place Names
GLIAS Newsletter
GLIAS Walk 7
Hillman. London Under London
London Borough of Camden. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Lucas. London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Piano Tuners. Web site
Primrose Hill History. Web site
Pub History. Web site
Richardson. Camden Town and Primrose Hill Past
Richardson. The Camden Town Boo
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Tindall. The Fields Beneath 
Wilson. London's Industrial Archaeology

Friday, 17 November 2017

Little Chalfont


Post to the north Latimer


Burtons Way
Loudhams Farm. There is a record that in 1256 land here was granted to Ranulf de Ludham which may be the origins of the name. In the 18th it is sometimes recorded as Lowdums. In 1820 Lord George Henry Cavendish bought it and it remains in the family. The land is divided between arable and grass with slightly more arable.
Barn.  This is an 18th timber framed  barn on a brick plinth with weatherboarding. There is a pigeon loft on the east side.
Loudhams Cottages. These were built for farm workers and were demolished in 1967 to be replaced by the Village Green.

Chenies Avenue
Old House Farm. Originally this was called Hill Farm.  In 1842 it was acquired by the Duke of Bedford and his marks are on the buildings. It appears to have been used as labourer’s  cottages.

Cokes Lane
Village Hall
Library. This was closed by Buckingham County Council in 2007 and has been volunteer run since.
Dr. Challoner’s High School. Girls Grammar. The school was established in 1962 as an all-girls' school, when the previously mixed Dr Challoner's Grammar School became an all-boys' school, due to increasing roll numbers.  It is now an ‘academy’.

Elizabeth Avenue
Little Chalfont Sports Ground – this is now a housing estate.

Little Chalfont
The name ‘Little Chalfont’ only dates from 1925

Station Approach
Chalfont and Latimer Station. Opened in 1889 this lies between Amersham and Chorleywood Stations on both Chiltern Railways Line and on the Metropolitan Line and also Chesham on the Metropolitan Line. Built by the steam hauled Metropolitan Railway which was extended to Chesham from Rickmansworth where there was a change onto a steam hauled service. It was first called ‘Chalfont Road’ and it is in now what is called Little Chalfont – which grew up round the station.  The main line went on to Amersham and Aylesbury in 1892.  In 1915 the name was changed to ‘Chalfont and Latimer’ . Electrification to Amersham and the Chesham branch was completed in 1960, with steam trains being withdrawn in 1961.  The station had a goods yard, which closed in 1966.

Station Road
Sugar Loaves Pub. This dates from  the 1930s.

Sources
Amersham Farms. Web site
Amersham Through Time
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
Historic England, Web site.

Caterham Valley

Caterham Bypass
The road was constructed in 1939 and in the Second World War had two different coloured grits as camouflage. In 1970 it became a dual carriageway almost as far as Godstone.  For building it a temporary railway was used with a diesel locomotive. It is supposed to be haunted.

Church Walk
Church Walk is the name of a small shopping centre in Station Avenue. It runs alongside a road of the same name,
Drinking fountain, this was donated by local resident Charles Asprey in 1890. It originally stood in Station Avenue. It was removed to White Knobs Sports Ground in 1933 and is now in Church Walk. He was also one of the first directors of the Caterham and Kenley Gas Company hence originally there was a gas lamp on the top of the fountain.
Woollett Nursery.  This was at the back of the hotel and dated to at least the 1870s.

Clareville Road
St. John the Evangelist. This was built in 1881 of Bargate stone and designed by W.Bassett Smith.  The tower was added in 1892.  The church was partly funded by jeweller, Charles Asprey. The organ was built in 1883 by J W Walker & Sons of London. There are eight bells cast by various manufacturers, the oldest by Robert Phelps in 1723 from an original bell of 1672 and came from the redundant church of St. Mary-at-Lambeth. The font is very ancient and comes from St. Lawrence Church, Caterham on the Hill.
St. John’s Church Hall

Croydon Road
10a Caterham Club. This was established in 1908 by local tradesmen and is an independent local social club
33 Greyhound Pub. Closed and demolished.
Quadrant House. Large office block, now flats.
43 The Capitol Cinema opened around 1929, designed to screen sound films with a Western Electric system installed in 1930. In 1955 it changed its name to The Florida but it was not allowed to show new films before they were shown in Purley.  It was closed in 1960. The site is now part of Quadrant House.
67-69 Rose and Young. This large garage site was empty from 1994.  Since redeveloped for housing. It is in a commercial Art Deco style, and was the head office, showroom and garage of the Caterham Motor Company, founded in 1922. Construction began around 1939 and it was used as a food depot, factory and British Restaurant in the Second World War. Caterham Motor Company sold the site to Rose and Young Mercedes/Volvo dealership specialising in the ‘gull wing’  Mercedes in  1970.
74 Flats on the site of the Salvation Army Hall.
76 The Valley pub.  This was once called The Commonwealth, and also The Fountain.  Now demolished and flats built.
Library. In the 1950s there was a library to the rear of the pub
76  Valley Cinema. In 1913 this opened next door to the pub in the Assembly Rooms. It closed in 1928. It was constructed of fire proof materials, with an electric lantern to eliminate flickering images on the new silver screen with a  small orchestra of a piano, violin, and cello. It was built on the site of a timber yard and saw mill.
85 Orbital House is on the site of the Caterham power station.
Caterham Power Station. This was built 1902/3 by  J & L Ward of Warlingham for the Urban Electricity Supply Co. There was a 100ft chimney as well as workshops, and offices . There was an engine room, boiler house, coal store, and showrooms. It opened in 1904.  It ceased generation in 1924 and was eventually sold in 1978 and demolished in 1988. There was a siding for coal supply from the railway behind the power station.  It is now the site of Orbital house.
Sewer ventilation pipe outside 110.
86 Caterham Christian Centre. There has been a Christian church here since 1888 when Dr Fegan founded a Brethren Assembly. The Brethren’s building for the Assembly use was erected in 1920 of corrugated iron and wood. It was bombed in the Second World War and the roof replaced with roof in the 1960’s. It was then found that the foundations were failing in the front and a brick toilet block was constructed as a faced. The rear was rebuilt in n the 1970’s because of dry rot. A room was added in 2001 in the roof space over the toilets  .In 2017 plans were put in place for the merge with Caterham Community Church
Caterham Valley Wesleyan Methodist church hall. This is no longer there
119 Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah’s Witnesses.  This is no longer there and the site is new flats

Godstone Road
This is now the A22 but was the old Lewes Road, the ancient road into Sussex, once a Roman Road. A new turnpike was laid out in the late 18th and the A22 follows this,
11 RAF Operations Centre. Kenley aerodrome was bombed in 1940 and it was then decided to move the operations building to Spice and Wallis's empty butcher's premises. This building was thus one of the most important sites during the Battle of Britain although it was replaced within a few months. On its site is now a modern shop with a blue plaque about the past of the site at first floor level..
26 The single storey building at the north end of the shop is former workshops of the Caterham Motor Company.
30 The Miller Centre. This was St John’s National School built in 1883, replacing a church. There is an attached Bourne Society Blue Plaque.  It is named after Dorothy Miller, founder of the local theatre and was opened in 1977.  It is now  a day centre and theatre.
32 Harp Steakhouse. This was until recently The Pilgrim Pub
34 Telephone Exchange. Built in 1953 by the Ministry of Works.  In 1912 Caterham was chosen as a pilot for the Lorimer scheme of exchange, but, following delays, the system was not installed.
67-69 Government Offices 
91 Caterham Drill Hall. Built in 1886 as a public hall. It was acquired by the War Department in 1913 and used by the 4th Battalion, Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment during the Great War. It has subsequently had other uses, for youth groups and by the Salvation Army. It has now been demolished
Pit. Behind the Drill Hall was a sunken area – an old chalk pit, with 3 ‘Woodlands Cottages’ and a lime kiln.  It was later partly the Crudace car park. This  has now been destroyed along with the buildings and the hall.
97 Maybrook House. Office building from the 1970s.
105 Headquarters of the 3rd Caterham St John’s Scout Group.
106 Surrey Hills Place. This was the Caterham Sanitarium and Surrey Hills Hydropathic. In 1898  was set up here and purchased by the Seventh-Day Adventists in 1903. The Caterham Sanitarium and Surrey Hills Hydropathic opened in 1903 under Good Health Association Ltd American, Dr Alfred B. Olsen, son of the President of the British Union Conference of the Seventh-Day Adventists, was Medical Director.  It was run in the same way as Dr J.H. Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan. Patients had a fruitarian diet, daily and Swedish medical-gymnastics.  There were prayers at 8 am,   After the Great War it began to decline and closed in 1921. In 1923 it was sold and became a hotel by the 1930s.  It was later by the Department of Employment as a Job Centre It was acquired by Croudace builders who demolished it and built flats.
106 Royal Mail Delivery Office.

Harestone Hill
1 United Reform Church. This was built in 1875, and repaired 1951 after bombs damage. It was designed by John Sulman, son-in-law of one of the deacons,. A Congregational Chapel had been 0pened in Stafford Road in 1865 and in 1868 a site for a permanent church acquired on Harestone Hill.  The lecture hall was added in 1878.  It  became a United Reformed Church in 1972 when the Congregational Church in England and Wales united with the Presbyterian Church.

Harestone Valley Road
Soper Hall. This was built, in 1911, as Council Offices for Caterham Urban District Council and included a Memorial to William Garland Soper, a politician and businessman of the time. It was used as a civic centre and a public hall.
Fire Station. This was opened in 1928 when the Brigade became known as Caterham & Warlingham Joint Fire Brigade. It  closed when new station opened in Godstone  in 1970 . It stood until 1988 when it was demolished to make way for the Church Walk Shopping Centre
Eothen School. The school was founded by sisters Catherine and Winifred Pye. It began with eight girls. The main school was built  in 1897 providing some boarding accommodation as well as classrooms. The Pye sisters retired in 1938. The school closed in 1995 when it merged with nearby Caterham School. The main building was demolished and the site now accommodates houses, flats and a health centre. The present Health Centre was built from the former Science block of the school.
2 Court Lodge, This is a 19th flint Gothic lodge house. It was originally a lodge house to Caterham Court, when Church Hill was the entrance drive.

Stafford Road
1 East Surrey Museum, The Cottage. This dates from the 1860s and is in flint and red brick and there are flint boundary walls. The museum is situated on the ground floor. It was bought by the Council in 1975, and housed homeless families. The Bourne Society Archaeological Group, wanted to use it as a museum and conversion went ahead by L. A. Long. The museum was opened in 1980. Until 2003 it was run by volunteers but a  Heritage Lottery Fund granted allowed employment of a curator but this has now ended.

Station Avenue
Caterham Station. This was opened in 1856 and is the terminus from Whyteleafe South on Southern Trains
40 Caterham 7 Garage. This had been a garage and filling station through the 1950s run by Anthony Crook. He left to join Bristol Motors and  it was taken over by Graham Nearne. Thee they set up a production centre for it designed by Colin Chapman for the Lotus Super Seven and the Elite.  In 1962 the filling station was sold to Esso and the garage at the rear became Caterham Coachworks. Nairne had sole selling rights from 1967 for the Lotus Seven and bought out all the rights in the 1970s.  The produced the car here from 1974. In 1984 the Jubilee Seven was produced but production was moved to Crayford in 1987.  In 2000 the Roadsport V was introduced and in 2003 the Tracksport.  .
Church Walk Shopping Centre. This is a small shopping mall situated opposite Caterham railway station in Caterham Valley. Church Walk was built on the site of the Valley Hotel, which was demolished in 1988. Long before the Valley Hotel was built (to cater for visitors arriving on the new railway trains) there used to be a tennis court, croquet lawn, rose garden, fountain, and Mr. Woollet's nursery. The griffins found on the top of the entrance to the centre are originally from the old hotel.

The Square
1 Old Surrey Hounds, pub.. This is one of the earliest public houses in the area although it was rebuilt in the present mock-Tudor style after a major fire in 1916.
Rotary Clock. Installed by the local rotary clubs to mark a centenary in 2005.

Tillingdown Hill
Roman road. This run south from Wapses Lodge roundabout in straight line up Tillingdown Hill, is believed to mark a Roman road. The line of the road can be traced as an earthwork around the hill contour above Commonwealth Road, and Crescent Road. This strip of woodland contains archaeological features and many old trees.  It continues to cross the bypass on a footbridge (which is where the ghost is said to lurk).
Tillingdown Hill. Open space here  used to be part of Tillingdown Farm but is now public space. There is grassland, benches and an interpretation board.
Tillingdown Farm.  Thus was a medieval manor house and farm becoming  a place for commuters’ horses. It may be remains of a hamlet depopulated in the middle ages.  It was Owned by Albert Davison who and used it to house and train racehorses since the 1970s up until 2011 when he died and the farm was sold.  It now appears to be derelict
Tillingdown Farm Cottages, Tillingdown Farm
Tillingdown Hill Farm Cottages, Tillingdown Farm
Reservoir . Undergound reservoir grassed over with tracks to the Bypass. There is a group of buildings on the east side. It is surrounded by woods and wooded open grassed areas

Timber Hill
Recreation Ground. Chidren’s playground and open space
Police station
Ambulance station

Sources
Caterham Christian Centre. Website
Caterham URC, Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
East Surrey Museum. Web site.
Knowles. Surrey and the Motor
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Miller Centre. Web site
Pevsner & Cherry. Surrey
Surrey County Council. Web site
Tandridge District Council. Web site
Village Hall cinemas, Web site

Sunday, 12 November 2017

Cuckoo Estate Hanwell


Post to the south Hanwell
Post to the west Greenwich Elthorne Heights
Post to the north Perivale


Bordars Road
St Christopher’s Church. The church began in a tent in 1937, when the Cuckoo Estate was built. Then a 'temporary' building, which lasted over sixty years was used and finally replaced in 2003, when North Hanwell YMCA was also built as part of the re-development

Brent Valley Golf Club
Golf Club. This is accessed by an apparently unnamed lane off Cuckoo Lane (in the square to the south)  This opened in 1910. The Council turned the area surrounding the golf course, which is still open to the public, into the Brent Valley Park in the 1930s. The club was founded in 1909 by Albert Toley . The course was designed by J.H.Taylor in the early 1900s. It reopened as a new public course was opened in 1938. The Clubhouse is believed to gave been The Grove, a local manor house, renamed Dublin house. In 1966 this was demolished by the council and the present one built and the course was remodelled to the present format. The course is now run by a private contractor Everyone Active

Chelsea Gardens
This is on the site of Argyle Manor School, itself built on land taken over from the Great Western Railway and used as a company sports field.
Argyle Manor School. This was built in 1971/2  by Ealing Council as a purpose built Childrens Reception, Observation, Assessment Centre for 32 residents and 8 day attendee. Chelsea Gardens housing appears to be on the site.

Copley Close
Copley Close. This estate was built, mainly in brick, by the Greater London Council and opened in 1979. It stretches across a narrow piece of land that follows the Greenford rail line into Paddington and at one point housing is on an ‘over bridge’ above the rail tunnel. In common with other social housing of the 1970s it has connecting walkways, underground parking and little amenity space. In 1979 when large scale public investment in municipal housing ended it was transferred from the GLC to London Borough of Ealing. Much of the land the estate is on is held on a 999 year lease from Network Rail and is built alongside a cut and cover slab over the railway line.
177 site of Old Bill Pub.this was built as part of the estate by the GLC and it was later let, by Ealing Council, to Trust Inns. Following a police raid and licensing review in 2006 the pub was closed, never to reopen.  It was later demolished.
185 Copley Hall Community Centre.  This is covered with bright and cheerful murals.
Castle Bar Park Station. This opened in 1906 and niw kies between South Greenford and Drayton Green on First Great Western Line on the old  Great Western Railway line between Westbourne Park and Southall. Halt , It originally was a halt with short timber platform, corrugated iron pagoda hut, oil lamps, name board and no staff. When it was built it could only be reached by a field path and is built at the point where the embankment becomes a cutting. It was rebuilt in the 1960 with red brick shelters, ticket offices with steel shutters and big padlocks. ‘Halt’ name removed from the name boards but GWR benches survived.

Cuckoo Avenue
This was originally part of the grounds of Hanwell Park – the house was in the square to the south and to the south west of this road.  This road leads down from the north and up what was called Cuckoo Hill where the Schools were later replace by the park and community centre.
The road is the main axis of the Cuckoo Estate. This was the drive leading to the schools. It is now a green centrepiece lined with mature trees,
North Hanwell Baptist Church. When the Cuckoo Estate was built, a plot of land was left empty for a second church.  This was originally Cuckoo Free Church re-named North Hanwell Baptist Church in 1938. It was originally a wooden hut apparently still used as the Worship Room but with a newer brick front to the main road.

Cuckoo Estate
Cuckoo Estate, This is a former London County Council cottage estate built in 1933 on the slopes of Cuckoo Hill and the site of the Hanwell Poor Law Schools. Many of its original features and its entire original layout are intact. Ir was designed in the local topography around an important historic building.  The estate was planned along the lines of a traditional garden suburb masterminded by Raymond Unwin .
Street corners feature overlapping hooped railings and grass strips in front of flats and terraces, these were installed by the LCC and continue to be maintained by Ealing Council

Cuckoo Hill
This is the central area of the Cuckoo Estate and the former site of the Poor Law Schools.
This was once thought to have been the site of a 6th battle between the Romano British and Saxons.  .
Drayton Bridge Road
The road was built in 1897 and Drayton Green station opened in 1905
Drayton Green Station.  this opened first in 1905 and now lies between Castle Bar Park and West Ealing Stations on the First Great Western Railway service between Westbourne Park and Southall.  It was rebuilt in the 1960s with red brick shelters, ticket offices with steel shutters and big padlocks. It is the ninth least used station in London.
Boundary stone. This is said to be in the shrubbery behind the fence on the south side of the road west of the railway bridge.
Adventists Meeting Hall. The Transforming Church. This lies on the west side of the line on what would have been a continuation of Coyle Close.

Dryden Avenue
Short road featuring maisonnettes

Great Western Sports Field Site
A portion of this complex area is in this square – the remainder in square to the east and north,
The Great Western Railway Athletic Football Club and Castle Bar Park. The Association was formed in 1900 and The Directors of the Company provided 17 acres if ground 17 north of West Ealing Station plus a Pavilion within the boundaries of the Castle Bar Park Ground. After the Secobnd World War the Company Directors agreed to ‘re-plan and refurbish the ground and some of the land was disposed of. Ealing Council acquired the land in the 1970’s and used part for building Gurnell Combined First and Middle School. The remaining railway owned land which continued southwards alongside the railway loop line as far as Drayton Bridge Road and was used as Allotment Gardens during the Second World War has been disposed of over the years to Ealing Council for the building of Argyle Manor Assessment Centre and Castle Bar and Compton Schools and to the GLC for part of the Copley Close Estate.

Greenford Avenue
Roads west of Greenford Avenue are part of the Elthorne Heights Estate built 1923/4 by the Great Western Land Company..
Roland House. Flats on the site of Cuckoo Farm gas works 1870s, This was on the site of the reservoir. It was a small works not used for public supply
Reservoir. This was built for the Hanwell Schools.
324 White Hart. Now closed ‘roughest pub in West London’.
Hobbayne Primary School

Grove Avenue
Seven Saxon graves were found on a field called Blood Croft, (in the square to the west) in 1886 and then thought to be buried warriors.

Hall Drive
Footpath entry point to the Cuckoo Estate from Cuckoo Lane and Greenford Avenue.

Hanwell Residential Schools
This site was once private Hanwell Park Estate, as was the Central District Schools site before it was bought in the 1850s.
Central London District Poor Law School. These opened in 1857 and were known locally as Cuckoo Schools. It was for children of destitute families and was set up by the City of London and the East London and St. Saviour Workhouse Unions in 1857, moving here from a site in Norwood which has become overcrowded. It was built on the land of Cuckoo Farm on Cuckoo Hill. An area was kept as a working farm to educate and feed the children. At first the school was renowned for its harsh discipline, severe conditions and epidemics. It was essentially a self-supporting community, and children were trained in a variety of skills. the boys were in marching bands that had engagements at local social functions. Charlie Chaplin was a pupil there by 1900 the 140-acre site had classrooms, residential blocks, infirmary and sewage and gas works – and many other facilities including some recreational. The school closed in 1933.
Park School West London District. This was originally the Ophthalmic Institute erected because of the high instance of eye disease among the children. This was open to patients from all childrens’ homes in London.
West London District. This dated from 1868 as the Poor Law Board from the parishes of St. George Hanover Square and Paddington, plus Fulham Union. They had a residential school at Ashford, Middlesex from 1872. In 1911 the they leased the Park School Buildings at Hanwell, previously the Ophthalmic Institute for 350 infants. However from 1914 it was changed to be occupied by wounded Belgian soldiers. It was empty again by the end of 1915 but was taken over by the Metropolitan Asylums Board until 1921.

Hathaway Gardens
Gurnell Middle School, This school opened in 1974 and closed in 1993
Woodlands “Academy”. This was Hathaway Primary School

Hillyard Road
11 The YMCA  West London launched in Ealing o 1870 aiming to improve the spiritual condition of young men’. They had a number of premises. In 2004 St Christopher’s supported housing project opened

Laurie Road
Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle : L’École de André Malraux. This was Brentside infants’ school. This Lycee is based in Kensington but has three primary school satellites, of which this is one - L’École de André Malraux. It is in what were the buildings of Brentside Infants School.

Westcott Crescent
Westcott Drive was created from a peripheral road that ran around the northern half of the school buildings
Cuckoo Park. one of the largest open green spaces in the Hanwell area and it surrounds the Community Centre. It is on the brow of the hill and extends down it with open grass spaces, tennis courts and a children’s playground. It is designated as a Village Green. A ridge remains from school structures forming a terrace by the tennis courts. Dense groups of trees are arranged throughout the park, and are clustered around the Community Centre and the adjacent “Garden of Rest”,
Statue of Charlie Chaplin
Hanwell Community Centre building, this building is on the crest of the hill and was once the administration block of the Poor Law school. It was was designed by Tress & Chambers and built in 1856. The main block is all that survives today. There is a clock tower rising from the attached wing at the rear  this was a water tower to which water was pumped by a basement steam engine from a well under the building.
London Welsh School moved into the building in 2015, The school was started in 1958 by a group of fathers who were sending their children to Welsh lessons. It later became a full time school

Sources
Brent Valley Golf Course. Web site
British History Online. Hanwell. Web site
CAMRA. Web site
Great Western Railway. History. Web site
London Borough of Ealing., Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
St. Christopher’s Church. Web site
The Workhouse. Web site
Walford .Village London
YMCA. Web site